Alternate QTH (Summer/Vacation Home)

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by N8GB, Apr 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N8GB

N8GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've looked around for the answer to this and I can't find a clear answer for within the U.S.

I have a permanent second home. I am not /portable, nor am I /mobile. I have a second shack setup at that location.

In Europe, I believe it's prudent to use "/aa or /a" for an "alternate address". What are we suppose to be using in the U.S.?

WV0CQ

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The legal answer is that you are not required to use any such designator.

You may choose to add something to reduce the confusion that might come with someone thinking you are many states away when in fact you are ten miles away from him. On voice CQ calls, it might be appropriate to give a brief description of your location, maybe a state name and nearby city. On CW calls, you could add the region designation after a stroke.

3. KI7AAY

KI7AAY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How would you manage keeping separate logs (For Award requirements)? I know you can create additional logs, but are the logs selectable when electronically logging like from JT-ALERTX

4. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A logbook is for a unique callsign and non-overlapping date range during which any and all QSOs using that callsign are logged. A logbook can be selectively viewed by creating view rules; see Viewing.

5. KZ3L

KZ3L Ham Member QRZ Page

So f the OP wants to use the primary call sign while operating at his second shack, he would need to end-date his primary residence logbook, open a new one for his alternate shack, then create a new primary residence logbook again at his primary residence when he returns home? Traveling back and forth would conceivably produce numerous fragmented logbooks for each QTH.

Is there an alternate method of just sticking with the primary call sign and placing the alternate info in the comments? I presume this wouldn't work for awards, but could at least be a way to filter the QSOs.

Has the QRZ Logbook development team considered adopting a model similar to LoTW that allows multiple Operating Locations under a single call sign?

Thanks to the developers for all the hard work they put into this.

Kevin

W7JZE likes this.
  6. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can retain as your primary callsign the location on your license and then when at your secondary location sign "/P". Create a new logbook for "/P" callsign.

Note: see Article 97.119(c) of FCC regs; /A may also be allowed as neither version is stated.

As to you question, contact: https://ssl.qrz.com/support

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. KZ3L

KZ3L Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you.

Unfortunately that still doesn't help with fragmented logbooks, especially if I routinely visit a couple of different portable locations using /P.

Perhaps I will just stick with my primary call sign everywhere (without the /P or /#) and annotate my location in the comments. Comments aren't visible to the other party, but if they confirm via LoTW they will have my alternate QTH location info.

8. N8GB

N8GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would the log books be fragmented any differently than if you stopped being active for months or years at a time, then restarted? You're logging. There's nothing that says you end a log book and start a new one (for the same call sign). You log at QTH #2 with /A, you log at home as your callsign, you log mobile as /M, you log portable as /P# (# = region) and so forth. People call as /M all the time and do not end a log/open another log. They simply log as /M.

Anyway, I worked /A from my cabin. I worked /MM this summer from a cruise ship and I worked /P4 from Alabama during spring break (my call sign is registered in region 8, even though I use WV0CQ.

I have come to terms with the fact that some people I QSO with, will NOT put in the /whatever when logging (including when electronically logging) and that I may never get a confirmation (especially electronically). I am not sure if it's them being contrary or if it's simply a lack of knowledge on how to do it or ignorance on electronic logging. Any way, before "coming to terms" with this, I learned something else in my early days after getting my ticket, a QSL card for confirmation is no more or no less genuine than electronic confirmation only. It just so happens, there are people that won't do one or the other. I choose to do electronic only because it is much easier. I have no use for hard copy QSL cards. I've never sent one back and have no plans to ever do so. There are people that take offense to this, especially if they go-ahead and send me a QSL card and expect one in return. No QSL cards means no QSL cards. I don't print them, and I never will.

As I was writing this, I had a QSO with a guy in TX, mobile, doing the TX QSO party, he specified callsign (mobile), but did not say stroke-mobile, so I verified with him that he is logging electronically and that his log will reflect the /M suffix, so that when it hits LoTW, it would line up with what I enter.

WV0CQ

9. KZ3L

KZ3L Ham Member QRZ Page

The fragmentation occurs when visiting several portable locations within the same region multiple times.

Let's say I operate from a friend's back yard this weekend and a park in a different county next weekend, and identify at each using a "/8". The location and the date range differ for each. This requires two logbooks to capture the locations separately. Then if I return to the friend's house the following weekend, I have to create a new "/8" logbook for that location and date range since the dates can't overlap.

Repeating this pattern, I would conceivably have numerous separate logs for the same portable operating location.

10. KZ3L

KZ3L Ham Member QRZ Page

I just discovered that I can manually select or change grid, county, CQ zone, and ITU zone independent from my QTH address for any specific QSO.

If logs imported to QRZ retain those fields (I log locally with Log4OM), then the solution is far easier than I thought. Under this construct a single /8 logbook could capture several operating locations within region 8, even when visited multiple times each, with a single date range.

I'll have to give this a test run.