ALS-600 Keying Issue. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4KAL, Aug 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KAL

K4KAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Old ALS-600 that has served me well. My guess it is about 15 years old, never a problem with it.
    Recently when putting the Amplifier in "Operate", the Xmit Green light dims very low. The amplifier will not key. If I just let it set for some time in Standby, it will eventually start working and the Xmit light that was dimly lit works correctly, and shows a bright green when keyed. Any ideas? I guess it may be time to send it back to Ameritron to have a look at it.

Any suggestions on where to send it for repair vs Ameritron.

Thanks,
    Keith, K4KAL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it do this if you use a clip lead (or paperclip, or anything that's a good conductor) to short out the RLY jack instead of using your "rig" to do it?

3. K4KAL

I need to check that, I have a foot switch I can plug in vs the Relay.

4. K4KAL

The Amplifier acts the same with Foot Switch... My Icom PROIII has a Keying Relay in between, so that eliminates the Radio and the Relay. Thanks for the Suggestion, that tells me it is the Amp with the problem.

5. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as a guess, could the keying power supply be failing? Maybe get a volt meter on that circuit upon startup.

Ed

6. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You may have a leaky filter cap in the 12volt low voltage power supply. Easy enough to change.

K4AGO and N8VIL like this.
  7. K4KAL

Thanks everyone for replying, I returned the Amplifier to MFJ for Repair. They wanted both RF Deck and Power Supply.