Alpha 87 Amplifier Craigslist Orlando Scam!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KA7NIQ, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody with that last name in the QRZ.com licensee data base, but of course that includes only U.S. amateurs plus those from other countries who specifically registered with QRZ.com. It doesn't access data bases from other countries, and some countries don't publish licensees. It's likely all B.S. as you say, but if I could pick up an 87A for $1000 I'd make the drive to Orlando from here (in California)! It's worth probably 5x that. The savings would cover my gas and hotel rooms...

2. KA7NIQ

KA7NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Picking up an Alpha 87 for 1000.00 is the scam, and I must admit, I did reply to the ad!
    Who wouldn't want an Alpha, especially the 87A for 1000.00
    That is exactly what the con man is counting on.
    His email and a link to the ad is in the thread, go ahead and contact him, and go for it!
    If you do drive here to Florida, you can stop and see me here in Tampa, it is right on the way to Orlando.
    Since you already have a Log Periodic, I could sure use some help with my getting up my Cush Craft ASL 2010.
    Then, you could operate on it, and see what, if any differences there are, compared to your Tennadyne T 8. They are both on 18 foot booms.

I am 100 percent convinced the Alpha Sale is a scam. He could EASILY sell it in Europe, so why advertise it in the USA, if it is not in the USA ?
    I asked him to call me, even gave my number, yet he chose to hide behind email.
    Remember, Tampa is only an hour from Orlando.

3. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for laughs and grins, have you done an IP Address search?
    (Just curious to see if he shows up in Nigeria, Ghana or Equatorial Guinea)
    If you don't know how, email me and I'll walk you through
    it, it's easy. My email good at QRZ.
    PS: I can't get it from you forwarding his emails, sorry, that
    removes the ORIGINAL header, which we need.
    73, Ken AD6KA

4. KA7NIQ

Unfortunately, it was remailed through Craigslist, I saw no way to get the header.

Hello,

I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.

Thanks
    Allen

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Chris Tucker <ka7niq@yahoo.com> wrote:

Call me about the old Alpha 813 655 8777 Chris Ka7niq
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/2390718112.html

Chris Tucker
    Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning
    President - Brandon Singles
    813 - 655 - 8777
    www.saferoofcleaning.com
    www.brandonsingles.com

this message was remailed to you via: sale-akyjq-2390718112@craigslist.org

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Try this:

"Allen McGonnigle" <allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com>

6. KA7NIQ

OK, due to "Popular Demand" I responded to him, I just sent this to him. If and when I hear back from him, I will post any reply.

"Chris Tucker" <ka7niq@yahoo.com>
    View contact details
    To:
    "Allen McGonnigle" <allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com>
    OK, I am in Tampa Allen, and I can drive over to Orlando, no need for shipping, unless the amp is with you overseas ?
    Tell me about the Amp Allen, the money is no problem. Are you a Ham, I am :)
    I think it is wonderful you are overseas helping children!

Chris Tucker
    Owner - Apple Roof Cleaning
    President - Brandon Singles
    813 - 655 - 8777
    www.saferoofcleaning.com
    www.brandonsingles.com

--- On Wed, 5/25/11, Allen McGonnigle <allen.mcgonnigle@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier - $1000 (Orlando)
    To: "Chris Tucker" <ka7niq@yahoo.com>
    Date: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 4:05 AM

Hello,

I still have the Alpha 87A HF Automatic Linear Amplifier for sale at the price of US$1000.00. I am currently out of country because I work with "Save The Children Foundation" and I am traveling a lot all over the world, where children needs my help. I am now in United Kingdom and I will have to stay here for at least 6 months. If you still want to buy it, we can do it with the help of a very good shipping company - www.parcelforce.com . You will have 10 days inspection period to make sure it is in like new condition. I will pay all shipping fees. If you are interested in buying this, just let me know and I will provide all complete details on how this transaction will work.

Thanks
    Allen

7. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris:
    I wrote the guy yeterday and got the same "I'm overseas" spiel today.

I just replied with a similar letter to yours. Let's see how greedy he gets
    and ifhe slips up. I'm thinking I MIGHT say "I want this am VERY badly.
    I might be willing to beat the advertised price to get it, if you can work with me...
    .):D His greed may lead to mistakes..

No way to trace Gmail IP Addys except with "ReadNotify" Software. (one word).
    My trial version has expired but you can get a 15 day trial version at: http://www.readnotify.com/
    It will get the guys REAL IP Address (Not Gmails in Mt View, CA) about %95 of the time.
    It will also tell you the IP and email Addy of anyone he forwards the message to,
    and of anyone who THAT persons forwards it to. (If he is a member of a group or gang, has a boss). He may be a "Small Cafe Boi" working off a script.
    Lets try to get him OFF SCRIPT! :)

Be Careful: If you download and use the free "ReadNotify" 15 day trial,
    READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST, or you will can tip off the receiver
    that he's being tracked. Once you get it configured though, it's a gem.

73, Ken AD6KA

EDIT:
    OK, since you are willing to see the amp in Orlando, I have a "friend" willing to
    meet him in London and pay him his money:

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  8. KA7NIQ

ROTFLMAO, OK, Let's 'work' this scammer. One can only wonder how many Hams he may have screwed ? Often, people are so embarrassed when they get taken, they clam up, and the scammer gets away. I have been screwed before selling stuff out of state. My other hobby is High End Audio. I sent a 3000.00 Pure Class A Stereo Amplifier from Tampa to California for a Certified Check. Found out the hard way, you can STOP PAYMENT on a Cashiers Check!

9. KA7NIQ

I just received a phone call from a non Ham, who found this thread on Google. I didn't ask him if he was here in Tampa Florida, but he said he got the EXACT same script sent to him on some Precor Exercise Equipment this Scammer also has advertised on Craigslist.
    Here is what I believe this Crook is doing.
    He watches Ebay for expensive items that get lots of Bids.
    I submit, an Alpha 87A with no reserve will get 100's of bids.
    He simply copies the pic's and description, then throws it on Craigslist. He uses the same script for each item.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See? I've always said not all scams originate in Nigeria.

However, since we're friends here and all, I do have a new and unused 87A sitting at my warehouse in Lagos. $552.80 cash, plus you can pick it up there! The bullets coming at you are "no extra charge," and if you can catch any, just keep them.

Thanks for working with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.