Alpha 86 question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W5KUB, Jul 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5KUB

W5KUB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up an alpha 86 and love the amp. It works great as far as its power. Occasionally my swr might peak over the 2 to 1 threshold and that puts the amp into standby for a long 3 minutes. Im sure this is controlled somewhere by a resistor/cap combinations somewhere. I would like to reduce the standby time to say 1 minutes. Can anyone lead me to the schematic and have info on what parts are setting this standby time?

also it easily runs 1200 watts on 120v.( i know 220 would be better but dont want to go there. I tune it for max output using only about 35 watts drive. once the rf output is peaked, i dont see any grid current lights. If it is off tuned some (plate and load not correct) I see 20-30 ma of grid current. But when peaked on the output i see a steady 1200+ watts on SSB but zero grid current on the panel led meter. I dont think this is normal, and should be upwards to maybe 75 to 100 ma grid current. But again it seems to be working fine. Any thoughts or comments? thanks Tom W5KUB host of weekly ham radio show Amateur Radio Roundtable.

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, please see my response over at EHAM.NET