Almost made my first HF contact last night.

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by KJ7LPI, Mar 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ7LPI

KJ7LPI Ham Member QRZ Page

So I’ve been fighting intermittent problems with my radio and couldn’t seem to make any contacts on 20 meter, so put up a 40 meter antenna last night and after listening for awhile I tried calling CQ and to my surprise ( tree is only 16-20 ft high that antenna is in) I heard my call sign coming back to me right at my noise level. But for the life I me i couldn’t make out the other operators call sign so I wasn’t exactly sure what to do so I said that I couldn’t make them out there call sign and that they were down in my noise. I’m excited to try again tonight and be a little more prepared to try to work through and get the contact instead of panicking.

K0UO, K3PDH and KF5KWO like this.
  2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

tell him what you told us!! just say it.
    you wont get arrested if you cant copy him...!!

K0UO and PU2OZT like this.
  3. W9QK

W9QK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve been a ham for just a few months. I reacted the same way when I called CQ the first time. I panicked. There is a few things to keep in mind while u are answering a call, I keep a pencil and a piece of paper. So the first thing I do is to write the call sign, write the time, and looked for a the report info after the person came back to me the second time. It just takes practice. There is no way around it. If u can’t hear the person tell him or her, I’m having trouble copying u can u send it again. Most hams are very nice people. As soon as I tell them Im a new ham they understand why I sound nervous and Im not talking like a pro calling call signs back and forth every time I finished saying something like the majority do. As long as you say ur call sign when u finished the convo that’s enough. I practice when I’m not using my radio. Because when u get nervous all phonetics go out the window. So I see words when I’m driving I spell them with the phonetic word for each letter. That’s helping me to remember and spell call signs easier. And don’t forget this hobby is supposed to be fun. Just relax and have fun. No one it’s going to chase u down because u forgot how to spell a callsing or u forgot a signal report.

KF5KWO and W0JKT like this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Next time try CW. It's a lot easier to dig 'em out of the noise level.

5. KJ7LPI

I’m working on that. I have a new old Japanese ball bearing j38 key .. just need to get to learning the code.

6. KJ7LPI

I’m getting better at it, I’ve made around 140 contacts in the last month and a half with my 16 ft high dipole, furthest contacts were Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guatemala and Venezuela on 40 meter

KC5AKB likes this.
  7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oops. Sorry. Glad you're working on it!

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep trying you will have QSOs

KE8QEP likes this.