Almost embarrassed to be a amateur radio operator

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5TED, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am totally OK with a ham receiving joy, even great joy from a QSL card but when it eclipses family, weddings, children, that is sad.
    So what is your greatest joy?

N6QIC likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sure his hobby is the eclipse but rather his relationship with God.

3. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Waking up every morning and being able to move breathe see smell taste feel and hear the birds or even a barking dog.

What is not a joy is getting on the radio and screaming CQ TEST until I am bleeding all over, including other stations trying
    to enjoy the hobby as well. And they call it fun. Sounds like Andy Griffin with his "And they call it Football"

N6QIC, N3AB and K1OIK like this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done a tiny amount of contesting back in the day and I've never had it result in bleeding, nor heard of anyone else having that problem. ;)

W4IOA and WF4W like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Ham Member QRZ Page

And they call it sardonic

Actually when there is a test on--too many times---I turn off the radio and forget about it.

6. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahh, I see were firmly in the contest bashing phase of this thread, just for everybody's notes, I think no-code ops are next on the list, followed by around of Elecraft bashing, then finally blaming everything on FCC enforcement.

WZ7U, KD8DEY, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  7. W9BB

W9BB Ham Member QRZ Page

..followed by bashing the retired or older ops, those that appreciate code, those that go to hamfests...it's all in there ....
    There are myriads of ways to enjoy the hobby. You just have to pick something and go do it...never have found it boring or obsolete...certainly wouldn't enjoy sitting at a dinner table with narcissistic individuals all sliding figures across the iPhone screen....unable to communicate socially....

WZ7U, WD4IGX and N3AB like this.
  8. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am part of a group mainly comprised of members of my Church who are amateurs. We live in a community a little north of Houston. Nine years ago as Hurricane Ike approached we setup times to have simplex nets after the storm blew over if normal forms of communication were affected.

To our surprise cell service worked right after the storm passed. It worked until the battery backups at the cell sites started dying 8 to 10 hours later. Local ARES activated as well as our Church group. In the following week or so amateur radio did assist at shelters and food distribution centers providing needed communications. As power was slowly restored and cell sites came back on line our services were not needed.

Before Harvey hit I contacted my Church group members and asked them to dig out their 2 meter radios and we did have a simplex net before the storm. As with Ike we agreed on net time if normal Communications were interrupted as it was last time.

In the 9 years since Ike most of the cell sites have been equipped with generators that either run off big propane tanks or natural gas. As a result cell service was not interrupted when Harvey came thought a couple of weeks ago. I had several amateurs call me wanting to know why we had not activated. "Well it because normal communications hasn't been affected." I told them.

Because of changes made in the infrastructure our services were not needed this time. Unfortunately for the amateurs in my group that only became hams for "when all else fails" many of them couldn't remember their call sign much less get their radios working. Fortunately the handful of members that look at AR as a hobby were ready to go if needed.

KG5UMH and N0TZU like this.
  9. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

it always comes back to bashing contesters. . . I like "points" - i collect contest points when contesting, I collect DXCC entities in everyday radio activities, I collect states/grids/dx using digital modes. To me, it's like collecting rare items on online games, points/levels on various XBOX games, and kills on other games.... or wins/stats in baseball (batting average, ERA, RBI, etc)

as many have said, we all enjoy different aspects of the hobby and none is better than any others...

N6QIC and AG5DB like this.
  10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a real good attitude to have. I wish I saw it more here on Teh Zed.

KG5UMH likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.