Almost embarrassed to be a amateur radio operator

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG5TED, Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say to someone's face anything I would type. I must have made 25 offers to talk on the phone, giving my phone number, just one taker and that was a few days ago. The common interest you speak of has turned into an obsession for some to the exclusion of real people in their daily lives. One ham here even said a QSL card he got from a rare DX station gave him the happiest day of his life, now that is sad.

G0JUR likes this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Until they realized that you were trying to route coax from the trunk underneath the seat and carpet?......
    YMMV

W4IOA and KK4YWN like this.
  3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pages and pages of this thread, and without reading that, I will just say that I feel ham comms groups would be better off setting-up emergency ways to get the cell /wifi infrastructure back up for everyone else. Maybe investing in generators, portable antennas that can be erected quickly -- sharing wifi over an area, and solar charging with battery back-ups, etc. Find ways to link these to others that might have wifi access. Suddenly, you are helping MANY people.

Far too much time invested in outdated or white-elephant communications methods that "might" be useful, if all else fails, but then again, so can standing on a hill and signaling code with a mirror.

Give me an HT, or basic analogue radio, a Lifepo4 battery, and a solar kit to charge it -- these usually have a port to charge cell phones, also.

WD4IGX and KG5TED like this.
  5. KG5TED

KG5TED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to get a mesh network going in this area. No interest in it. Guess I could put up a couple of nodes and see if anyone would join in. Build it and they will come...well maybe.
    Thanks
    Ted KG5TED

6. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

To the OP. Come back when you actually embarrassed. Almost doesn't count.

WZ7U, N6QIC and W4IOA like this.
  7. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahh.. But you didn't tell us who caught you?
    The police, Mom and dad, your girl friend,? Police_mom&dad_GF.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017 at 4:13 AM
    W4IOA likes this.
  8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely. There is plenty more to get embarrassed about.

9. WD8T

WD8T Subscriber QRZ Page

Well now there is.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people don't have the same level of enjoyment or pleasure as others. I certainly don't look down on a ham that received joy from a qsl card, pity perhaps but not disdain.
    Burt, I like a lot of what you have to say, but it's too bad you feel to express negativity over such things.
    My greatest joy isn't my wife of 38 years or my son, but they are among the most cherished of my life.What my greatest joy is would mostly result in scorn from many but that means nothing to me for it lessens nothing I feel.
    Enjoy life, do your best, smell the flowers, be kind, honest, and gentle. Attempt not to win in every transition in life, let others be first, and live a life of humility and integrity. It took me decades of life to begin to learn these, to place into consistant practice and have them become habit may never come for me in my life, but still I strive.
    Working to take the high path always requires more effort than the low and wide road because the low road has so much more traffic.

N6QIC, KA4DPO, KV6O and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.