ad: CQMM-1

Allied Electronics now officially known as RS

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W9GB, Feb 17, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

End of an Era, for me. Received my first Allied Radio catalog (mail order) in 1968.
    Their original Chicago offices and Knight-Kit facilities are East of my QTH.
    After Tandy/Radio Shack purchase, offices & warehouses moved to Fort Worth, TX in 1970s.
    ==
    February 6, 2023

Allied Electronics and Automation now officially known as RS

https://www.automationmag.com/allied-officially-known-as-rs/

In 1999, Electrocomponents Group (London, UK) acquired Allied Radio/Allied Electronics brand name and commercial parts business from Tandy/Radio Shack USA (Fort Worth, TX).

Electrocomponents already owned a sister company, RS Components, based in London, England, that represents various electronics mfg. and brands in UK and EU.
    ===
    Allied Electronics & Automation officially transitioned its name to “RS,” effective February 6.
    This name change is part of the company’s ongoing brand evolution.

Allied Electronics & Automation is a trading brand of RS Group, a global, omni-channel provider of industrial product and service solutions. The company supports customers in designing, building and maintaining industrial equipment and operations.

On May 3, 2022, the Electrocomponents Group changed its trade name listing to RS Group. This was the company’s first step in its brand transition into RS for all companies within the group. Since May, several brands within the group have taken new names — IESA and Synovos became RS Integrated Supply and Needlers and Liscombe became RS Safety Solutions.

The group has planned an in-person employee launch event on February 14
    at its Fort Worth (USA) headquarters to mark this significant milestone.

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago a friend was at the local radio shack. He was talking to a few if us on 2meter simple from his handheld while in the store as he looked around. The volume was loud enough folks could hear him in the store. I forget who asked him but one the guys on the radio asked him if he was at “trash shack”. Needless to say the manager was not happy about that and told him to leave.

N4ZAW likes this.
  3. N8MYQ

N8MYQ Ham Member QRZ Page

years ago started my radio adventures with a knight kit Star Roamer (which i still have) from Allied Electronics.....

N5XMV, W8TJM, N1GKE and 1 other person like this.
  4. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I still had mine. It was the second thing I had built as a youth. The first being the "All American Five."

N5XMV likes this.
  5. K1IO

K1IO Ham Member QRZ Page

As branding exercises go, this one strikes me as particularly dumb. I don't think Allied carried much baggage. RS, however, reminds people of its source, Radio Shack, and while that had interesting origins in a ham/hobbyist store in Boston in the 1930s, by its later years it wasn't thought of as a place to get high quality parts.

6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

RS Components, over this side of the pond, is a pretty good company. They carry a decent range of stock at reasonable prices - and they offer an "over the counter" service. I'm lucky enough to have one of their distribution centres close to home and, if I run out of 10k resistors in the afternoon, I can pop along and buy a pack at a moment's notice!

Martin (G8FXC)

KF5KWO and K2BKT like this.
  7. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Allied Radio / Allied Electronics (1928 - 1970)
    https://chicagology.com/silentmovies/alliedradio/

Yes, the Tandy Corporation (Texas leather company) purchase of Allied Electronics (April 15, 1970) for $30 million and eventual relocation to Fort Worth, Texas in 1970s was train-wreck (marketplace they did not understand — and technology was changing).
    First mistake was LTV’s acquisition (LTV Ling Altec, Inc) of Allied in 1967, then selling because parent organization (LTV) financial issues (under-funded pension, eventual default).

A Federal lawsuit was filed against, and a judgement was made on May 14, 1971

Relief for Allied affiliate stores across USA.
    https://www.justice.gov/atr/case-document/file/1000761/download

That fumble permitted Digi-Key (Minnesota) and Mouser (Texas) to become the pre-dominant electronics parts distributors in North America — 50+ years later.

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  8. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

RS has been a very big name in the UK, Europe and Australia etc. for many decades. The market it caters to is mainly professional so it won't be confused with Radio Shack.