Allagash, Maine repeaters and other resources

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by NY1US, Mar 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. NY1US

NY1US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This spring I will be travelling with a group to canoe and camp along the St John River near Allagash, ME. As the only licensed Ham in the group I have been tasked with coming up with some Emcomm plans in case of emergency while on the river. My plan so far is to bring along my IC-7100 with battery/solar power and various easily deployed and compact wire antennas. I'm doubting an HT will be of much use but might bring one just in case. So, I will have access to HF through UHF bands and Dstar if needed.

I am wondering (hoping) some Hams from the Allagash area will see this and can comment and/or advise how repeater coverage is in the area and if they know of any specific freqs that are monitored or well used in the area.

Thanks and 73!

2. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe there was a repeater in Allegash (146.715, pl 100) and another in Ft Kent (146.64, pl, 100). Both of those are still listed in Repeaterbook,com as active. I don't know if that is still current though. I was up there in Aroostook County last summer but could raise no one on any of the repeaters I could reach with my handheld.
    Good luck and take plenty of bug repellent.

3. NY1US

NY1US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the reply. With the current events it's looking doubtful we will be able to make the trip this year, but possibly in the fall. Stay safe!

Still interested in hearing if anyone else knows the area radio wise. Hopefully this bump might catch some Maine-iac's attention ;)