All the power in the world and not enough battery!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Single Bioenno 20AH LiFePo with up to two (2) Bioenno 28 watt solar panels plus light weight Genasun GV-10-LI-14.2V MPPT charge controller . For the price points I love the combination...no hash from the Bioenno battery electronics or the Genasun. This setup is great for SOTA with the solar panels and for field day, where I plug the wall charger into a generator or wall outlet. The supplied Bioenno wall charger has no problem keeping the battery topped off while running the IC7300 at 100W and field day duty cycles.

I am considering a much larger fixed station battery bank at some point in the future...I haven't done any research or calculations, but I like the idea of the flooded lead acid Johnson or an AGM deep cycle paired with a battery voltage booster when needed. Basically, golf cart/off grid solar batteries with a well engineered battery maintainer.

And as Onno implied, there are some good tools (and goodies!) on the 4 State QRP website: http://www.4sqrp.com/resources.php

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

(My apologies if someone else posted about this...)

For batteries, "graphene" is a game changer too. The first benefit is being demonstrated by Samsung with super fast charging. Imagine a QRP rig battery that could recharge in 5 minutes.... Click on linky below picture to read article....

samsung-graphene-balls-battery.jpg

Graphene Balls

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with new quick charging battery development it that it is all either geared toward smart phones (too small for anything other than QRP use), or toward electric vehicles (too big for Amateur use).