ad: wmr-1

all NEW HAMS on HF(to be)

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KE7GGV, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KE7GGV

KE7GGV Ham Member QRZ Page

You may or may not agree...all NEW hams coming to HF soon...like me...need ELMERS....to guide and help...and being new to it. I feel that us new operators should take the time to listen...and slowly get in....though the code requirement is going away. I still plan to use CW....and call me what you want....when you get in at ground level of HF....as a TECH you only have one band that is PHONE...and the rest CW....

I know times have changed and we need to move on...what is done is done....and yet we are given a chance...let us not take advantage of that...though some act like it is the end of the world with CW....no one is stopping you....just the requirement...and some are not happy with change....and some feel it would be like CB...CW does have a place still in HAM Radio...and some want to throw in the towel and quit or what ever....

That is fine....did you ever need help and guidance from a fellow HAM or ELMER then..when you got in to this hobby...I am glad new people are coming on board...HAM will be changing all the time....non-stop....something new....we appreciate any help or ELMERING....I do...and hope to pass it along....though some claim the internet should not be involved with HAM...I know some do not have a computer...that is cool...but I think it is great and how the two have helped out each other....
    Now I can see why some do not like ECHOLINK...EQSO...or other programs...it helped me before I got the air...with 2Meter...and I do listen...and some do call it not real HAM Radio....

But I must say...those programs are great for those...who do not or will have or be limited by space or what ever...to have HF or such access....I am limited...
    Due to space and how the city deals with hams....the city where I live has no idea how ham radio works....and there is no one on the city board that is a ham....

What has helped me was ECHOLINK...EQSO...and though it is not being on the radio...but it gives ma a feel and training of what do...I use

http://www.qsonet.com/

It is a great program...I think all new people should start here....though it is not on the actual air....I have listened in and used it...a great training tool...plus there are over 10,000 HAMS that use it....you cannot go wrong with that....even some EXTRAS I have heard....now say what you like...we all need help and experience...and learn form each other....

I hope us new hams will not go hog-wild and blow our chance....and with time it takes practice....forgive my spelling...

I think we have a chance here..please email me

gaules@comcast.net

KE7GGV/AAR0AJ-T
    THX 73 DE KE7GGV.....

2. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

The best way to learn radio procedures is to get a list of nets in hand and listen, listen, listen. Tune around the bands and listen. Then, press that PTT or put your hand on the key and operate. You will find Hams, with the exception of the few individuals that you find in ANY hobby, will take your inexperience into account and will help you to improve. Don't be put off by the curmudgeons and listen to the rest. ENJOY! [​IMG]

3. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

though watch that you don't let a bad experience scare you away from something. I had one a little while back where I was calling cq fairly slowly and some guy comes back at a speed much faster than I'm going and much faster than I can copy and doesn't even check that I've acknowledged his presence before sending a very long transmission...I just tuned away from him and found me a new calling frequency. But yes guidance is a must for all of us in certain ways

4. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't Forget 28.000 to 28.299.9 Mhz. CW ONLY 28.300-28.500 USB  Tech SSB Voice 28.500 to 29.700 Mhz. General, Advanced & Extra Class.

As a freindly reminder if you wander there an Official Observer will send you a reminder Card, Ignore it and you get a Letter from Riley H. asking you to stop by any VE test session for a General Exam.

Easier way study for the General Class exam and take the test then you will not only have 10M. voice privledges but earn the use of other bands.

also the ARRL web site has a PDF file of Band assignments.

simple  and straight foward solutions.   [​IMG]

5. KE7GGV

KE7GGV Ham Member QRZ Page

http://qsonet.com/programs.html

Is a excellent way to train.....even if you have no HF RIG...I enjoy it..though...is is not on the airwaves...

I still use CW...yes even on the QSONET program...I have a CW practice Beacon(thanks to the permission from Doug)VE3EFC...for letting me doing it....

14,055(20 meters).....0700-1900 UTC S/W......11 am-11pm....

THX DE KE7GGV...73 TO ALL...

6. W2NSF

W2NSF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right now, before you find your elmer....LISTEN.
    When you finally find your elmer....LISTEN.
    After your elmer has helped you....LISTEN.
    With over 20 years of HF experience...LISTEN.

Oh, did I mention, LISTEN?
    Thank you.

Look forward to working you on the bands.

7. KC0PKA

KC0PKA Ham Member QRZ Page

I could'nt agree more! I will be upgrading shortly to general ticket and have worked 6 meters for a long time, and it has been a great learning tool for hf.
    Although These have been my only tools to learn how thing work,I spend alot of time monitoring high freq, nets maritime and I find listening is a great teacher aswell.

see you on hf shortly 73s Mike.

8. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been listening to 75M Phone and I think I've heard enough from my "elders"...

On how NOT to behave on the air!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.