all mode dual band,or tri band,?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W9WQA, Jul 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i did a quik look, none found.
    as a joke awhile back i mounted my db kw v71 on my 7300 and called it a "7391a"
    since i would like a 991a like the 7300. then of course i thought about the v71 being fm only. and looked for an all mode dual band. not found. wonder why...?
    did i miss it..

and btw the 7300 is BIG ! compared to the ab, am 7000...so why not all band all mode 7300 like the 991a?...just thinking...

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The first answer is the market.

The market for such a device would be limited, which would make the price of such a rig similar to that of an all-band, all-mode rig.

The second answer is market-adjacent. Those who would purchase such a rig are mostly serious weak-signal VHF/UHF operators. Success in the weak signal world is greatly dependent upon antenna gain, height and horizontal polarization--all of which are difficult (horizontal and high gain) to impossible (height) in a mobile installation. If the rig is going to be on a desk anyway, why make it small? That would just make it more difficult to operate.

All that considered, the rig you are looking for has been made. It is the IC-9700.