ad: SDRKits-1

all-in-one rigs compared to seperate rigs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD4AMG, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

there  are all band/all mode rigs out there ( hf, 6 meter, 2 meter, 440 . etc )... those of you which have owned the new types, which is better, ..an all mode/all band rig  OR  seperate rigs for each band ?  I have owned ft - 100 s , icom 706, and yeasu 847... but is it better to have it all in one box, or seperate radios for each band ?  If one rig breaks, you still are able to talk on the other bands...example: even for a no-code tech  if your 2 meter rig tears up, you might still have 6 meters and 440 to talk on if you have SEPERATE rigs, but if it is "all-in-one" you lost it all if one small bit breaks... do you agree or disagree with your personal experience ?

2. KD4AMG

also wondering if any one knows why == 220 == is left out of all the new rigs by kenwood,icom and yeasu... why do they leave out  220 mhz  ??

3. AE4FA

AE4FA Ham Member QRZ Page

As for the first question, I think it is a matter of economics, as well as talent and time, and even, perhaps, space - certainly for me.

I have seen shacks that featured dedicated rigs for each band, usually homebrewed and usually capable of the legal limit.

You just have to do what the rest of us do - evaluate your situation and make decisions that work best for you.

73, Bob

4. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">kd4amg Posted on Jan. 07 2003,17:34
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    also wondering if any one knows why == 220 == is left out of all the new rigs by kenwood,icom and yeasu... why do they leave out  220 mhz  ?? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> amateur radio is a secondary service on 220mhz.  two meter and 440 amateur radio is the primary service. makes me mad too. why not, with all this multi-band radio in one box craze, 220mhz isn't included in at least one radio as an option is beyond me.

5. KD4AMG

[​IMG] arent amateurs the PRIMARY for 222.000 --- 225.000 Mhz ? if amateurs are NOT, then WHO is ? I thought all ups wanted was 220 - 222 Mhz ?

6. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

The military used to have allocations on that particular band. I believe they even have a satellite network that is allocated there.

7. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but is it better to have it all in one box, or seperate radios for each band ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Since no one has addressed this yet, I'll throw in my two cents.  Before I purchased my 756pro I checked out the 746 series which included 2 meters.  What I personally noticed was less sensitivity and selectivity on HF on the 746.  This could be because a: two meters was added or b: the 756 cost more.

I've also heard this from other owners of multi-band radios.  When 2 meters and 440 are introduced, HF receive is reduced.  This doesn't apply to 6 meters, or at least doesn't seem to.

8. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever hear the old expression &quot;Jack of all Trades, But
    Master of None&quot;[​IMG]    Kind of like that in lots of
    things, Tools, radios, you name it. Try to pack it
    all in to one little box, and something has to suffer.
    BUT the modern day rigs are providing pretty good
    performance, One of the bigger problems is if you
    have it all in one box, You only operate on ONE
    frequency at a time. (You will NOT hear a call on a
    two meter repeater if you are listening on 10 meters,
    or vice-versa)  The all in one boxes cannot do a cross-
    band repeat operation. The &quot;best&quot; station would have
    at least one radio for each band........  If space and
    price were no object. In the real world, I feel that a
    single HF radio that covers 160 to 6 meters, AND a nice
    dual band VHF/UHF radio that can cross band repeat is
    a nice compromise that is very versatile.

9. kd5kfl

kd5kfl Guest

In Re 220 Mhz - USA may be the only country with this allocation. Not a heavy-use band. Put those 2 together, there's not much reason to put it in a radio.

10. N3MVF

N3MVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not arguing which radio is best, I have a Kenwood TS-2000 which I use primary on HF. Went with it because I had great success with a TS-450 and thought the &quot;all in one box&quot; would be interesting.  I do use it for local 2 meter but for satellite work it was &quot;noisy&quot; compared to a dedicated unit. Worked but &quot;noisy&quot;.  So I ended up purchasing an Icom 910 for sat work and I can really tell a difference for satellite work. Guess it depends what your goal would be in the hobby.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.