ALL BOATANCHOR SHACK

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WD0GOF, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

PHR:

The Viking II was designed to use the Johnson 122 VFO. Now the Heath VF-1 VFO is generally accepted as being a "clone" of the 122 VFO.

If your Heath VF-1 that you are using with a Viking II is "intermittent", I would go through the VF-1 looking for bad solder connections. Since there is so little circuitry in the VF-1 just resoldering all the connections wouldn't take more than 10 minutes (at the most).

Also, I would remove the oscillator tube and make sure that the connections in the 7-pin socket are still tight. If not, then take a needle, dental pick, Xacto knife with a #11 blade, etc., and tighten the connections. Then clean the pins of the the tube itself.

Tighten all of the machine screws and nuts which go through the chassis. All of the grounds in the unit are made by these and they definitely work loose and/or become corroded over the decades. Tightening all of these "fixes" about 90 percent of the intermittent problems that I run into on "boat anchor" equipment that I work on for others.

Glen, K9STH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.