ad: CARC-1

alinco dj500t mars/cap mod?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KE7WHW, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE7WHW

KE7WHW Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an article out there on how to do this on the 1st gen dj500.
    Does anyone know how to do this on the 2nd gen version?
    I've looked through the Alinco programming software and can't find a way to do it through there either.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WHW:

Just why do you want to "open" the frequency coverage?

It is illegal to transmit with any non-certificated unit on frequencies that require certificated units. This includes 47 CFR Part 90 frequencies and 47 CFR Part 95 frequencies (GMRS, FRS, etc.).

Providing such information is not allowed here on QRZ.com. There are other Internet sites where such information can be found. However, providing that information is also not allowed on this site.

Please note that if you are caught transmitting with a non-certificated radio on any frequency that requires certification you can be subject to penalties including the following:

Fines up to $11,000.00 per day per radio used.

Confiscation of the equipment.

Loss of your amateur radio operator's license and not being allowed to get another for the remainder of your life.

If the licensee of the radio system on which you used your non-certificated radio has knowingly allowed such, that licensee can be fined and / or have their license cancelled.

In certain cases you can be imprisoned (means "go to jail").

If a licensed amateur radio operator is "caught", the FCC will come down harder on such individual than someone without a license. This is because you certified, by signing your license application, that you know, and will obey, all regulations concerning operation of your radios and this applies to all Parts of 47 CFR and not just 47 CFR Part 97.

The majority of amateur radio operators who request such information are just not familiar with the facts surrounding such operation and, when informed of the seriousness of doing such, immediately forget about doing the modification.

There are those who say that they want to be able to contact public safety agencies in the case of an "emergency". However, such operation is legal only when there is absolutely no other means of contacting the agencies including landline telephone, cellular telephone, commercial two-way radio, amateur radio on amateur radio frequencies, and even CB.

Also, just what constitutes an emergency that such operation is legal is lot more constrained than one would think. For example, a "fender bender" is not such an emergency. An accident where serious damage is done to the vehicles but only minor injuries is not such an emergency. An accident where someone is seriously injured would probably qualify. An accident where someone could die if aid is not immediately available definitely qualifies.

A grass fire in the median of a freeway does not qualify. A grass fire that is engulfing a large field would probably quality. A fire in a storage shed would not qualify but a house on fire would qualify.

Many public safety organizations get very upset when someone, not authorized, transmits on one of their frequencies. Several states actually have laws against doing so. Also, more, and more, public safety organizations are going to trunking systems and amateur radio grade equipment is not capable of accessing those systems.

In right at 60-years of being licensed, there has been exactly one situation where I might have been justified using non-certificated equipment to contact public safety agencies. One afternoon I was on my way to meet with the volunteer fire department chief, of a small town northwest of Dallas, Texas, when I came across a house fully engulfed with fire. However, the company, that I owned, also maintained the communications systems of every public safety agency in the county and I had been authorized, by various agencies including the county sheriff, to have certificated equipment programmed for the various public safety agencies. Having such equipment, I contacted the dispatch center that dispatched fire calls for the town in which I was located. The fire department was dispatched to fight the fire. After the fire was out, the fire chief, and I, had our meeting.

Glen, K9STH
    Moderator, QRZ.com