Alinco DJ-MD5 channel name or frequency display

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WD1R, Mar 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WD1R

WD1R Ham Member QRZ Page

So I have been playing with a new MD5 and what I want is for the display to show the channel names for the repeaters. I am sorry but I just have a really hard time remembering a ton of repeater freqs and besides, when I use DMR I want the display to show Texas ST or Arkansas ST, not 443.800 for both and I have to guess which is which.

Now I can solve this problem by going into the software, optional settings, work mode, and changing display mode from frequency to channel, and life is good! Right? Nope.

This works great right up into I try to switch from memory mode to VFO so I can enter a new freq to play with and the radio refuses and says DISP CH not Support! which I take to mean it can not display the frequency since there is no name.

Can I get around this? Am I looking at the answer and just can't see it? Because if I cant use the names and the VFO without having to reprogram the radio, it is a boat anchor to me and I need to look at a different radio.

2. WD1R

WD1R Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to thank Ken Dorsey - KA8OAD from DX Engineering Sales and Technical Support. He came up with the solution. His workaround is:

"The way around this is to go to the radio menu, Settings -> Radio Set -> (4) Ch,Name and that will let you switch between the channel name and frequency. Switch to frequency (2) FREQ when you want to use the VFO and then switch back to channel names (1) CH when you are using the memories."

He also noted that in the latest firmware upgrade that problem is solved. I upgraded the firmware and it did indeed eliminate the need for workarounds. Radio is working well.