Alinco DJ-G7 HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AB5N, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AB5N

AB5N Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, a week with the new DJ-G7 and here is what I report.

The radio does what it says it does. It is about on-par with
    Yaesus and Icoms from 1990. The price is too! Build quality
    is just fine...robust and solid. Battery life is excellent and
    even better with a AA pack. Audio on TX and RX is Very good.
    Sensitivity is normal...same as all other HT's - except around
    800mhz...where it is lower..no big whup. Programming is easy once you figure it out for yourself- as the manual is poor.
    I've found features that are not in it, and forgot how I did them!
    The belt-clip is wacky. Odd. The sub-band set of volume/channel controls are too close to the antenna for comfort. The external mic connector is under a metal screw..odd. Accessories are expensive. Like $60 for the
    programming cables. The software is free though. YOu cannot update the HT's internal firmware without them. Mine needs updating. Memories are well organized and plentiful. Feature set is full and well-implemented. So, should you but it?
    I sold my VX-7 and bought this HT. Why? I was bored!
    It is a good value...good performer...and it has only a few little problems...which they all have.

Bob-AB5N
    www.7000mic.com
    www.greenpowervideos.com

2. AE6LX

AE6LX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool little HT. I'm interested in getting one for a couple of the 23cm machines in my area. Thanks for the reviews.

4. XU7ADQ

XU7ADQ Ham Member QRZ Page

23cm FM range

Just curious, and I realise that the answer could be given as 'how long is a piece of string'? , but notwithstanding, in a real world situation (open countryside), what sort of range am I likely to get on 23m FM - HT to HT with the stock antenna?:confused:

I've been mulling over this particular HT since it came out, and the 23cm option appeals because of the sheer amount of VHF/UHF traffic over here (somewhere quiet to QSY would be nice;)).

On another note, I remember reading an article where 23cm was used by railway tunnel engineers in the UK, as an experiment to see whether comms could be maintained.
    The results were very good, with reports of no problem TX or RX through a mile or so of non straight tunnel.
    Apparently the reflective qualities of 1296MHz, when faced with a brick faced tunnel proved very useful.
    Maybe a good tool for pot-holers who become separated?

5. AJ4HW

AJ4HW Ham Member QRZ Page

DJ-G7 Headset

Has anybody figured out what headset will work well with the Dj-g7 I mean the earmuff and the attached boom mike type

6. KJ4HYJ

KJ4HYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alinco DJ-G7 Locked up

Recently purchased and was messing with the different functions and accidentally locked up the radio. Could not unlock no matter what I tried. I had an "X" in the location next to the "M" or "S" for the Main or Sub. I did a partial reset and was freed from the lock up but lost my settings. Does anyone know what happened?:eek:

7. KD0KBN

KD0KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sub Band TX

Has anyone had any success enabling sub band tx? I have a 70 cm freq on main, and sub band, re-assigned the mon key to sub tx, I can transmit on main band, then when I key up the sub band, I get the message - "TX Disabled..."

8. VK5FZZA

VK5FZZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sub Band TX

My DJ-G7 "E" version also disabled RX on the sub band when I TXed on the main.
    Solution - upgrade the firmware!
    Note that the Yaesu 3.5mm programmimg lead will not work with the Alinco as it is wired differently.
    The Alinco uses a 3.5mm 4 terminal socket but the tip and lowest part of the barrel are not used for programming.
    I used a USB to serial converter that had a 3.5mm 3 terminal stereo plug. But I made a coversion lead to a 3.5mm 4 terminal stereo plug.
    And take care as the Alinco has a threaded section on the socket. This meant that I had to leave the plastic cover on the 3.5mm 4 terminal 3.5mm plug unscrewed to get the connector to mate properly.
    Visit the Alinco site to get the firmware.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.