Alinco brand?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by WANNABHAM2, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Researching handhelds to purchase my first ham radio and came across Alinco. I see they're made in Japan and was wondering if anyone had experience with their product? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Yaesu FT-60r. Appreciate any help and thank you in advance.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alinco has been around for about 30 years, and has a good reputation. Their radios are economical, and have the ordinary functions without bells and whistles.

N0TZU and WANNABHAM2 like this.
  3. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Thank you, really appreciate the reply! Without bells and whistles is fine by me as I'm just starting out and really know nothing about ham radio. :)

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have many Alinco HTs and mobile rigs. I think they are very good quality, with rare exceptions (DX500 ok but has a fatal flaw). The mobile rigs are very tough, very sturdy.

You can't go wrong with an FT60. That was my first HT. Still have it, works fine.
    Recently I bought both FT4X for GF and FT70. Both are excellent HTs.

Be prepared though, the user interface on all ham radios is somewhat difficult. Learning required! But that is part of the fun, enjoy the ride.

K0UO and WANNABHAM2 like this.
  5. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a good deal. Depending on how/where you want to use it an external antenna with the proper adapter to fit the antenna port on the handheld may be a good idea. Also to consider is a speaker/mic for it (corded so you can leave the radio laying down and don't have to bring it to your mouth to talk

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  7. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a DJ-G5 dual-band HT that I bought used in the mid-90’s. Other than the battery packs being long past their expiration date, the radio still works like a champ. It’s among the best sounding HT’s I’ve ever owned, too.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  8. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Ok, I did some research but, there isn't a lot of info on this radio as it seems fairly new. But, there was plenty of positive on Alinco in general so, I pulled the trigger! Got it from Gigaparts.com for $99.95 free shipping. Woohoo, got my very first Ham on the way! :)

WA4CZD likes this.
  9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

congrats! please post about how you like this radio.

WANNABHAM2 likes this.
  10. WANNABHAM2

WANNABHAM2 QRZ Member

Will do but, since I have no clue what I'm doing, I'll have to wait 'til I find an Elmer to help me figure it out! :)