Alinco ALR-22T memory battery?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB7DUO, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB7DUO

WB7DUO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently acquired a gently used ALR-22T. I love it. The buttons are smaller than my finger tips, but that's another story. :) But the rig, like myself, has a poor memory. I can setup the memories, but as soon as I turn it off, I loose everything. I opened up the rig. Top and bottom. I did not see a battery anywhere. It was just a cursory look, no real prying. But, both on the schematic, and in the radio, I cannot find a battery.

Have any of you Ladies or Gentlemen had this issue and found/replaced the battery?

Where is it... what is it?

My old Collins 75A-3 was more fitting to the size of my hands than this rig, but what a sweet little gem!

Thanks,
    Greg

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a link to schematic ?

It may use a cap instead of a battery.

I have never worked on that model, So I do not know.

Good Luck.

3. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I ran into the same problem with my ancient Alinco DJ-F1T handheld. I emailed Alinco's service department and one of their folks responded the next day. Unfortunately he said the backup battery for my radio was no longer available, but he did give me some suggestions on how to cobble in a replacement.

4. WB7DUO

What type of "cobbling" was involved? It seems this radio did not have a large distribution. Information on it is very slim...

5. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Alinco tech suggested a currently available type of "button battery" that would work. He reminded me to sand the plating off the terminals before attempting to solder leads to it, and cautioned me to keep the heat to a minimum. Sadly, that's been a couple of years ago and I no longer have the email message, so I can't give details. I also haven't ever bothered to attempt the battery change yet (not a pressing need). If I decide to press forward, I'll need to contact them again.

I don't know how many F1T and F4T were sold. They seem to have sort of a "cult" following today. Whenever one comes up for sale, it gets snapped right up. They are still a great performer with an excellent receiver and superb transmitted audio, and they're very well built. There's an easy mod to enable reception of the aviation band (snip one wire) and they receive it very, very well. Snip another wire and they'll transmit FM from 136.000 to 174.995 MHz.

6. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Not the same radio, but I bought a Kenwood TM-721 at auction for $5 and the memory battery was shot. I bought a holder for a CR2032, took the old battery out, and soldered the new holder with leads in on the board. It works great and the 721 is back working all the way. The holder is completely enclosed so the battery won't short out if it comes against any other component. Just a thought if there is room to put one.

Bob

7. WB7DUO

I found it!! :) I took the radio apart again last night. On the back side of the front control panel. Mounted vertically, and covered with wires. It's a 3032 style with tabs. 3 volt. I happened to have one with tabs, so I soldered it in. Works great.

Thanks for all your input
    Greg

G8VDP, KA9JLM and W9RLG like this.
  8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. G8VDP

G8VDP Ham Member QRZ Page

To : Greg - Thank You, just got hold of the E version faulty with no audio output. Turns out the amp chip had no supply ( I wasnt wanting to take the main board out to look under it to see why ) so I just linked 12v to pin 5 of the chip and UP came the audio. All working perfect but I had the same problem, if I turn the radio off , after about 5 minutes turn it on but everything was reset I looked all over for the battery but no luck . Very Cheap 25w radio , You helped me out , thanks again .

Ken G8VDP

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Luvit when a plan comes together

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo