ad: ARR

Alien response?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VE7JBX, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, because QRZ? (with the question mark) means; "Who is calling me?" I'm not sure I'd call it syntax - its simply the assigned meaning, most of the Q codes without a ? question mark are a statement. With the question mark they turn it into a question.

So you knew someone was calling you (you heard him sending your c/s), but you didn't know who it was that was calling you.

I've not heard QRZ on its own used by Hams but I did hear a few times on Ship/Shore stuff when for example one ship( eg gbtt for example) was calling a shore station (eg gxo ) and you were in comms with the shore station he was calling, so you send ' gxo de gkyu qrz gbtt k, hoping that gxo would stop making a tea and listen to his radio (lol).

AD5KO likes this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

The truth is out there...

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Scrutinize your fist. Record and listen if necessary. Somebody may be picking on you.

4. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, shades of "Play Misty for Me". Ya think it's a stalker? How about recording it for us and posting it somewhere.

5. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You are being harassed by someone whose knowledge of code is limited to repeat what he / she receives - hence undocumented alien.
    Do not despair, we will build space wall soon.

6. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. If it happens again and I have the presence of mind I'll grab my phone and get a recording.