Alien response?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VE7JBX, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

So, just to get this out first - I'm quite new to CW and have most of the lack of skills / poor copy / clumsy QSO abilities that implies. However, I'm not deaf, and there's no doubt I'm hearing what I describe below.

I'll get on a frequency.... 20m since that's the antenna I have to work with... and put out a CQ. 3x3, I end with a "K", nothing weird or even incoherent there. (Hey, sending, especially with a straight key, is pretty easy). My goal at present is to make at least 1, CW QSO every day to improve my skills. It's working and I'm having fun.

About once a week though I'll have something a bit odd happen. I get on a frequency.... I listen... I listen some more... nothing. Send "?", listen. Send "QRL?", listen. Nothing. OK, CQ CQ.....check RBN ok good my signal is getting out, hey look there's that skimmer in AZ who shows me at +32dB...

Then it happens. Loud and strong, I get my own callsign back at me. Honest 559 to 599. *Just* my callsign. Sometimes 2x or 3x.... sometimes just once.

I'm all excited, oh good, someone to QSO with and their signal isn't buried in QSB! So I will come back with
    "QRZ de VE7JBX? K" or "STN CALLING GO AHEAD?" or "? ? de VE7JBX K" or something like that.
    Sometimes... they then send me my own callsign again... but still nothing else. Other times they just go silent.

Just had it again this morning. My own call back at me, once, clear and strong... then nothing.

Anyone else get this? Am I supposed to know what this means?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not saying it's aliens...but it's aliens.:)

AD5KO and KJ4RZZ like this.
  3. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

just some weirdo screwin with you?

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Some op had his SDR set to listen for QRL and automatically send back R.

Looks like he got bored with that and stepped up his game.

KO4LZ likes this.
  5. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

there are some strange people out there... i sent a QRL ? QRL? 3x3 CQ...followed by another 3x3 CQ. . . a guy responds QRL QRL HI HI ... and calls CQ...

6. VE7JBX

I wondered about that but it doesn't sound like a recording... as in, cadence etc is a bit different than my fist.

7. VE7JBX

Again this morning 15:30Z 14056 kHz. My call back at me 3x after I made a call but no further responses to "QRZ?" or "UR CALL CALL? ? " sent QRS.

Beginning to suspect it's someone learning code - it's sent manually not by a keyer based on slightly irregular spacing, and it's a bit hesitant. Maybe they're trying to see if they can copy a call and send it back but get scared off "OMG someone actually heard me". Solid 579 signal here.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

That is weird John! I suspect that you may be correct that someone has an extreme case of nerves. Or, maybe it's just some miscreant with defective genes?

9. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ *(without the question mark means "You are being called by........" using it before the 'de' would confuse me - but then maybe I'm easily confused.

10. VE7JBX

So you'd suggest "QRZ? de VE7JBX" as the proper syntax, then? Trying to get across who I am, asking "QRZ?"

Not that I think it matters much with whomever this is. They're already confused I think! Maybe one of these days they'll actually not run away though and will have an actual QSO ;)