ALERT - NIGERIAN SCAMMERS ARE ACTIVE

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This just in, we finally have a copy of one of the Nigerian scammer's Phishing email.

The message, which is totally bogus, carries the subject: QRZ ATTENTION, which isn't a subject that we have ever used. It mentions that some call signs are black listed and that you need to click a link to verify your account.

QRZ NEVER SENDS OUT MESSAGES LIKE THIS - NOT EVER. In QRZ's 25 years of operating online, we have never sent out a mass email of any kind. We just don't do it.

The scam email also includes a link to a website qrz.890m.com DON'T CLICK THE LINK, it's not QRZ but is instead an impostor site. They are trying to get you to attempt a login so that they can capture your password.

Folks, This may seem redundant, but everybody must use extreme caution when reading your email. Note that QRZ does not send out unsolicited email, not ever. We don't ask people to come to QRZ to verify anything, unless that user has requested it. Links to QRZ always begin with HTTPS (not HTTP) and they ALWAYS end in .qrz.com The scammers link ended in 890m.com, which is probably satan's front porch. At the very least, it's a site that LOOKS like QRZ so that you will be fooled into giving up your password.

LOOK before you click. There is absolutely nothing that we can do about this other than to make people aware so here's the email in question, in its entirety. Note that Micheal Schatz is a phony name.

Nigerian.png

NH7RO, K5WRN, KE9OL and 10 others like this.
  2. N7YV

N7YV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you.

NH7RO, K7SWT and W6GH like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I just had to click it, That is what I do to help deal with scammers. :D I did not log in.

"Deceptive site ahead" has been put on that web address.

Thanks for the heads up.

One problem with small devices, You can not tell what you click on.

7 percent battery life is a problem also. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    KD8OCT likes this.
  5. 2E0DID

2E0DID Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KO5V

KO5V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a special place reserved in hell for people who do this - and unfortunately it must work, or they wouldn't keep doing it . Thanks Fred, I appreciate your constant vigilance!

7. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up Fred.

Oh, and does this also mean my long-lost uncle in Nigeria didn't bequeath me the $10 million in gold if I send them $99 today?

:cool:

KI6BQL, W4DSM and N1VAU like this.
  8. VE5RH

VE5RH QRZ Lifetime Member #257 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow radio ops,I received the exact e-mail approx 2 weeks ago,what a bunch of scammers...
    VE5RH-CANADA

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t receive any such email. Not complaining mind you.

10. K3EZU

K3EZU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fred. . .thanks for EVERYTHING. . .

N0CEL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.