AL572

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K6GB, Aug 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A local ham has this amp for sale at $650, I don't want one quite that big but it's in my budget and I can always let it loaf at 500-600 watts, any pros or cons? I do have 4 spare 572B's that were from a defunct FL-2100.

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the amp works and you can verify it does, that is not a bad price. You cn pay more for one that may have to be shipped to you and you would not have the pleasure of seeing it work. Although it would not be the best choice in amps, they do work if you have 4 good tubes in them. Since you have 4 spare tubes, that is a plus in your favor.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Assuming it works properly and you can watch it do that, $650 is a great deal.

4-tube amps are kinda weird, but at least 572Bs are available, it seems you have some, and even if you have to buy news ones the most recent Chinese tubes aren't bad and not crazy expensive.

At that price point, I'd go for it.

N7BDY likes this.
  4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seeing you have spare tubes and likely 2500 hour life Cetron 572B, it would be a great deal for you at that low price plus no shipping costs.

N7BDY likes this.
  5. N8FVJ

That is 25000 hour life Cetron 572B, not 2500 hours

6. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's sitting on the desk now and was online and operating when I picked it up, well respected seller.

7. N8FVJ

Congrats. The amp can output 1200 watts PEP without any strain.

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats - nice find !