AL 811H intermittant.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K5WP, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

YW:

In this area amateur radio operators are almost always called by the suffix of their call and not usually by their given name. It is a badge of honor, not an insult. This came about because there are just too many operators with the same first name which ended up with people having to add the call to the name to identify which Bob, or Charlie, or Dan, etc., that they were talking about. Finally, it ended up with just the suffix.

I almost always refer to people here on QRZ.com by their suffix. Frankly, there are several "Chips" and there are often more than one person with the same first name posting in a particular thread. Therefore, I will continue to do what I have been doing for the past over 50 years and refer to other amateur radio operators by their suffix.

Glen, K9STH

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

From watching the videos that Ameritron has about how the amps are made that would be a real good idea!
    Watching the way the woman was soldering something in the amp she was working on was PAINFUL!

Nothing uncommon about that. Sure works for me!!:)

3. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Statistically nearly 100% of problems are tube related problems. Most of those are cause by operators who are heavy handed or slow tuning the amp, but some are caused by tubes just going bad on their own.

It's foolish to just start re-soldering everything. Odds are nil that is necessary.

If the amp wasn't a very recent amp, it has resistors in the grids. If a tube shorted, a grid resistor could open. If the tubes are replaced without checking the grid resistors it is an open invite to have more problems.

Also, be sure any tubes are TESTED by the supplier and use a reliable supplier.

It's a huge waste of time to just start doing things that are not necessary. A little trouble shooting goes a long way.

73 Tom

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,

I was looking onto this today to see what I could do to help you since you seem so exceptionally dissatisfied.

There is no amplifier registration or dealer sales record to W1YW,
    N1IR, or any Cohen that could be you Chip.

Could you give me the serial number?? I'm trying to see if you the latest run, or when yours was built. What is really puzzling is you asked the "best way to get at the rectifier". Knowing how much you know about electronics, the rectifiers are about the very first thing you would notice with the cover off. I'm a little puzzled how you missed the rectifiers because when you unpacked the amplifier you said you have, they are right in your face.

Thanks, Tom

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was kind of wondering that also. The Ameritron amps are easier to work on than any amps I've ever owned, which is a lot of them. Try taking a 30L-1 apart.:p

The question about how to get to the tube sockets had me confused, also, since they're on an easily removed bracket. You need a Phillips screwdriver as I recall.;)

My AL-80B is very easy to work on, although other than adding an internal AC line filter (long story) I've never modified anything about it.

These things are testimony to pure simplicity, which I'm sure was driven in part by trying to keep costs down.

If I can find a good deal on a used AL-1500, I hope to have one this year, in time for the DX contests coming up Fall 2011.:)

Internal pics of an AL-811H for anyone interested: http://www.dg8fbv.de/AL811.html

6. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I hate to say it, but it looks like W1YW was just pulling our legs and he doesn't really own an AL811H.

The "rectifiers" are obvious, and so are the grid resistors if it has them. Anyone who really has an amp would know that, unless he does not know what a diode or tube socket looks like.

:)

Tom

7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 30L-1 is easy to get apart, you just have to "know the tricks"!

The Ameritron AL-811 and AL-811H amplifiers are "wide open" and I can't see why anyone would have problems.

Glen, K9STH

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish I would have known the tricks when I had a 30L-1.:p I haven't had one in many years, but it would be interesting to know anyway.

The 30L-1 was a lot of stuff packed into a very tight box.

9. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done a bunch of work on these amps in the past. From the amps that I have worked on, the first things I would check, in no special order, are:

. D16
    . the 4 51 ohm resistors.
    . shorted tube(s)
    . The hv switch.

These are very basic amplifiers and go together like a simple puzzle. Any long time extra class should have no trouble with this amp. As a matter of fact, the thing I have most trouble with when working on these is getting the band switch to line back up correctly. I think that I have a mental block when it comes to this. :D

10. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think what actually happened is the amp was imaginary and the problems imaginary, and so there was a problem finding the imaginary diodes and imaginary sockets in the imaginary amp.

They are much easier to see with a real amp. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.