ad: hrd-2

AL 811H intermittant.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K5WP, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

I can tell you first hand that the rocker switches in that amp are junk. More then likely its just the switch.I replaced two in mine.

2. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right. The old suppliers are going away as US companies either go out of business or move to China.

3. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Which switch failed in yours, the power?

4. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

The meter and the power switch. The remind me of the quality of flea market chinese eletronics. Other then that great amp!

5. K5DBX

K5DBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, over the last few years, on both variants of the AL-811 & AL-811H that I have owned, the HV/Ip rocker switches began to exhibit failure within the first 100 hours of operation.

6. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

Ive heard there's a quality difference between newer and older ones.

7. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Switches

Thanks Tom . I replaced the switches as they exhibited the same problems.

That was a few years ago . I have NOT heard from the GURU in

LA concerning your design . Problems , usually , are not in the design .

Components are the problem . :D

Sorta works that way .

That is it . I do not have everything , Tom , I do not live on QRZ .

Ugh , oh , I do not respond to every thread . If I did so , I would have

over 38,000 posts ! :D :D :D

I am NOT a one day EXTRA either !!!!!

JB

8. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll ask about that. They should know a histroy on it. Maybe they had a bad venor or bad run of switches. The original switches were pretty good.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had numerous amplifiers over 41 years, including SB-220's (several); solid state jobbies; Hunter Bandit; SB-200; and so on. I even had an NCL-2000, which is definitely finicky. But all of them worked, with some attention to load and settings, and delivered as promised. I am well familiar with 811A and 572B amps, for example.

I bought a NEW backup amp, an AMERITRON AL-811H, in October 2010. After three hours of use, as prescribed in the manual..

the AL811-H went PHHHSST! and died...

I checked out the connections, SWR, and so on, replaced the tubes...and

the AL811-H went PHHHSST! and died...

I popped the bottom, only to see a conundrum of a pin enclosure that is not easily accessible--and an obviously underpowered fan with improper air circulation.

And now: I hear there are PARTS problems...and I am supposed to repair it?? No way! Parts are part of the design, OM's.

Now I can give this to my engineers and waste more than a kilobuck having them redesign it and make it work, or I can sell it off at a fraction of what I paid for it and someone else can spend hours on it..

Either way, the Ameritron AL-811H is, IMO, poorly designed and I was misled as a customer as to what I should expect from it--certainly more than 3 hours of use!

The AL811-H went PHHHSST! and died...

Very disappointed...don't know why this is amp is still for sale. And I certainly think that I should have been warned as to ANY potential parts issues so I could have been an informed buyer (I would not have bought it).

My opinion based on my experience. I would like to hear from others that have had problems with this inadequately designed amplifier. My e-mail is listed on my lookup page.

Chip W1YW

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Note: the amp was purchased in early October 2010 and was dated July 2010 from the factory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.