AL-811 keying time

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know the AL-811 antenna relay switching time? My new to me HF transceiver that is arriving next week has a fast 10 milli-second switch time from receive to transmit. It may back down power out if the amplifier relay is too slow. Yes, I can modify the radio, but......

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The newer models with the dual sealed relays switch faster than that.

3. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna relay switching time is only an issue if you are using VOX

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which everyone does use for digi modes, and almost everyone uses for CW (even "semi" QSK), and is still an issue if using AM or FM, which is full carrier as soon as you hit the PTT.

I'm concerned when any rig can output RF at the same time as the amp key line closes, and some rigs do that! I like it when the xcvr manufacturer gives the user the option to set the time delay from amp key line closure to RF envelope output (and same applies in reverse on release). Even my little T-T Jupiter has this as a user adjustment, continuously from amazingly fast (~2.6mS) to as long as 2.6 seconds (which probably nobody ever uses). I just set my TX delay to be slightly longer than the amplifier's relay switching time.

5. N8FVJ

My TS-950SD xmit delay is fixed at 10 milliseconds. It can be modified for 30 milliseconds. Prefer not to mod. However, if I do nor speak into the mic for 30 milliseconds, the RF amp would not produce power to shutdown. So, perhaps I do not have an issue anyways. Radio is to arrive next week.

6. WB2WIK

SSB is the one case where if you use PTT and operate normally, you'll never have a problem.

"VOX" operation might create a problem.

10mS is probably sufficient with the AL-811; pretty small, pretty fast relays.

Good luck with the 950SD, it's a nice rig. And big, and heavy!:p

7. N8FVJ

I went with the TS-950SD analog radio due to the newer digital radios on SSB sounds muffled to my ears. I sold a TS-590SG and FT-991A. An old Swan 100MX is the best sounding SSB radio I ever heard, but drifts- no good.

8. WB2WIK

The TS-950SD isn't analog. It's a DSP rig. The Kenwood DSP-10 digital processing unit is built in, and makes it work.

9. N8FVJ

DSP is audio shaping electronics, not digital, no A to D or D to A converters. That is not true digital and it can be turned off.