ad: Alphaant-1

AL-80B taking out finals....

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AE1P, Jul 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That reddish looking color is close enough to brown...and it measured 100 ohms.

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whether it is a 2.0k or a 2.7k, there is no way a set of probes across that resistor should be measuring 100 ohm ohms!

Nor in receive condition should the RF input connector measure 65 ohms from the center pin to ground.

Recommendation: Don't try any OTHER experiments on this amp until these items have been traced out fully.

Pheel

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s 100 ohm resistor. I’ll repeat. There is a 100pf or maybe 50pf mica cap in series with that 100 ohm resistor and again in series with another mica cap. That network shunts the coil. I have an AL1200 suppressor which has the same set up and I easily read the resistance of the resistor because of the isolation of the caps on both sides. Now, one cap could be open which will totally destroy the suppressor if the amp goes into transmit. You may have to check to see if one of the caps is open to be sure the suppressor is effective.

4. AC0OB

It may have the same setup (PCB board configuration) but it does not necessarily have to have the same resistor or capacitance values since the AL-1200 uses a different tube with a different output capacitance.

According to standard resistor color coding a Red-Black-Red banded resistor with a Gold band at the end is a 2000 ohm (2k) resistor with a 5% Tolerance, and according to Neil's picture, that is what is is.

https://www.mouser.com/technical-re...MIy8vrv5y56gIVAr7ACh1ptQHEEAAYASAAEgIXefD_BwE

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  5. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

to my old eyes that resistor looks brown black brown 100 ohms.

6. AC0OB

Maybe Neal can verify the color banding from the backside pic left to right but it looks Red-Black-Red with a Gold band at the bottom. Even when I printed the pic it looks Red-Black-Red with a Gold band.

Pheel

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

My AL1200 has two 100 in parallel and I measure 50 ohms. The colors look like red black red but it’s obviously brown black brown. My resistors and his resistor are the same . He needs to check for any open mics on either side or both.

8. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He needs to check for any open mics on either side or both.

Will do.
    Hard to tell with cell-phone pics...but resistor is Brown-Black-Brown...
    Thanks to all for input & help...I'll post results...
    Neil

9. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a 100pf or maybe 50pf mica cap
    Looks to be 100 AL-80B1.jpg

10. AC0OB

So the pics rendered the Brown bands as Red but your eyeball inspection says the Red-colored bands are actually Brown bands? Amazing!

My Kyocera cell phone camera has never rendered a Brown resistor band as Red.

None of this makes sense but measuring the mica caps might tell us something. Look at the values marked on the caps and please let us know what they actually measure with at least one lead out-of-circuit.

Pheel

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020