Al-1500 blower question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KN4CTD, Jan 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4CTD

KN4CTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn’t tolerate listening to that.

2. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Nor do most folks....I think he got a letter about it or something from the Feds...who knows..who cares...but it is funny....LOL

KN4CTD likes this.
  3. KN4CTD

I’ve seen that stuff in other amps also.....never used it though. My point is that if the holes in my mounting plate are causing a restriction in air flow, I may just need to go ahead and modify that also and then just use a tight fitting silicone chimney by itself without the glass globe. There’s a guy on eBay who sells a socket that he builds for the gs-35b. I used his sockets for the gi-46b amp. They work well in that amplifier and seem to be of good quality. I’m just not sure how good the airflow would be in his gs-35b socket.......at $160, it’s expensive also. But it would make testing other tubes in the future much easier.

4. KN4CTD

5. KN4CTD

A fellow ham here local has an IR thermometer I can borrow. I’ll check the anode temperature on this gs-35b and post the results on here later tonight.

6. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

Be safe.....

7. KN4CTD

I’ve checked the anode temperature with the upper case removed from this al-1500. I keyed up for a long while in RTTY and also got very long winded on a ssb test. This very cheap IR thermometer doesn’t show over 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit anywhere on the cooler itself. I had someone helping me use the thermometer even checking in the very inner part of the cooler. I’m not sure how accurate this thing is but it doesn’t appear to be overheating. Any suggestions on how to further test? I understand accuracy is everything so this test may not amount to a hill of beans.

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If there's any question of thermometer accuracy, point it at a cup of boiling water and see if it says close to 100c.

KN4CTD likes this.
  9. KN4CTD

Another photo of the tube mounting plate while I’ve got it apart.

Attached Files:

10. KN4CTD

Great idea.....I’ll check that before I put these gazillion screws back in the cover