AIS Decoding on an IC-705 (video by MW0LGE)

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4KYR, Feb 1, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

AIS Decoding on an IC-705 (video by MW0LGE)

I saw this on YouTube and found it interesting and figured it might be of some interest to some here. It is from MW0LGE in Wales. With this setup, you can track ships on a map much like you can track vehicle locations via APRS on a map.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system

"AIS is intended, primarily, to allow ships to view marine traffic in their area and to be seen by that traffic. This requires a dedicated VHF AIS transceiver that allows local traffic to be viewed on an AIS enabled chartplotter or computer monitor while transmitting information about the ship itself to other AIS receivers. Port authorities or other shore-based facilities may be equipped with receivers only, so that they can view the local traffic without the need to transmit their own location. All AIS transceivers equipped traffic can be viewed this way very reliably but is limited to the VHF range, about 10–20 nautical miles"

Video description by MW0LGE

"Decoding AIS (Automatic Identification System) on an ICOM IC-705 using SDRSharp, AISMon and OpenCPN. I was going to re-record it when I realised I called it advanced information system, but decided to leave it as is. 73 Richie"