Airplane indentification

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by N8CJT, Apr 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8CJT

N8CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago I could look up wing numbers from aircraft and it would return who owned the aircraft, has that database been removed??
    Thanks,
    N8CJT

2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KK5JY likes this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I found it interesting that you were asking about "Wing" Numbers. Every aircraft reference I have ever heard was for a "Tail" Number. A little research indicated that it has been nearly 60 years since showing the aircraft number on the Wing was required. US Aircraft must now display an "N" Number on the tail or fuselage. Wing surface markings are no longer required. "N" was the least used of our radio callsign allotment, thus considered least likely to cause confusion. That was not universally popular. Some advocated for the use of "W" to honor the Wright Brothers.

I did find an FCC site where you could submit an "N" tail number requesting??? identification (I did not submit one), but have not found an "N" number database equivalent to our Amateur Radio database. I wonder why our database is still online, and theirs seems not to be.

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe my bad... I was thinking that he was talking about the "N" tail number and not a wing number. Never heard of that.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably because that data isn't theirs to manage.

The N-numbers for US-registered aircraft are managed and issued by FAA, not FCC. They may look like callsigns, and they are often (but not always) used as such, but they aren't callsigns in the sense that FCC-issued callsigns are. There is actually some overlap between tail numbers and ham callsigns that start with N, but this is purely coincidental.

It is possible to request a tail number that matches an N-prefixed ham call, but the two are not otherwise related.

6. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, related only in that radio callsign allocations for countries were used as the basis for determining the FIRST LETTER of an airplane Tail number. "N" was not just picked out of a hat. It already had a recognized connection to the United States. I guess if you are not 100% crystal clear specific what you meant - you leave room for doubt about what someone thought you said.

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very true. There is a lot of correlation between most countries radio call prefixes and their civil aircraft tail numbers. It's not 1:1, but they do overlap quite a bit.

8. N8CJT

N8CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks everyone for their input, I want to real this back in a bit, QRZ several years ago had a database for aircraft identification , you could type in the aircraft identifier number and it would come back who owned the aircraft. I tried it again on QRZ.com and I cant find it, has anyone used this on recently on QRZ.com, I suspect they discontinued it.