ad: ProAudio-1

Airlink Express digital modes software available

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

2-1/2 hrs??? You must be on a SLOW dialup connection? It is a 22 meg file size to download - if you are running VISTA I don't think you need to download the .NET file - I didn't. Installed just fine. I sure wish I was back on XP rather than VISTA, but can not find the drivers for the Toshiba P205 notebook.

I used the program some last night and it's pretty neat - easy to use... Clean interface.... Remember all the gripes about VISTA because there were few ham programs written for VISTA? Well, this one IS written just for VISTA - let's face it, VISTA is the way of the future for Windoz users - until the next upgrade anyway.

Good job of writing the program and making it available to the ham group - and the price is the BEST - FREE.... now if it would only make coffee & do the dishes{grinning}

73 de Ken H>

2. G1GEV

G1GEV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not the fault of Alex that windows .Net is required, we should thank him for the Vista specific software, not a lot out there for Hams.

I have been ill for 2 1/2 days just a cold, but i've made 46 countries in 3 1/2 days on Airlink Express using just 5w on 40m, I think that says it all for the software really !!!

73's and Regards

Kevin G1GEV

3. KC8YHW

KC8YHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not everyone has highspeed

_____Not everyone has high speed, that said we are the last customer out the power line, Lots of dips and browns. We are the last customer out the phone line, its three miles back to the first remote switch gear. I wish that web sites would ping the lead to the last visitor to see if they have HS or Dial up. I can not go car shopping on line, I get tired of waiting. So while most of you are on the internet superhighway I am idling along the shoulder. I really have to be motivated to try a new application, especially to endure a long wait to get it into my machine. As to Micro:mad:Shaft and Vista I know of too many unadopters going back to XP. I use Nix for a reason it works I have never had a Nix crash. Find a geek and try some of the one CD or live demos of Linux you may walk away from Win:mad:Blows.

Harvs Ham shack hack, fldigi are actual station setups.

4. N0ES

N0ES Ham Member QRZ Page

@KC8HYW:

If you need any Linux cds/dvds, let me know and I'll be happy to mail them to you. It only takes a few hours to download even the biggest ones here at school.

BTW, I'm working on building something along the lines of Digipup... reviewing *lots* of Linux-based amateur radio software, and hopefully bringing back a few projects that haven't seen updates in a while.

5. KC8YHW

Sound Card

_________________________ Sound cards. Okay hams use sound cards for connecting to their radios, and often we are turning the computer around to get to the sound card jacks, changing radios programs etc. When we change radios we often have to unplug one radio and plug in a different one.

So I was locking at a sound card and saw these three other inputs. CD-ROM, TV-TUNER, and FM-RADIO are these three inputs the same voltages as the line-in jack that comes out the back? If so that would give me four distinct stereo ins. I would not need more outs but the extra ins sounds good.

I have yet to fillet my machine put in an audio CD and see the output level of the CD-ROM drive, but I am hoping that with some old cables, some jacks, and the soldering iron I will have more inputs.

6. N0ES

N0ES Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an expert, but I would tend to think that those jacks should be equivalent. As long as you have support in your mixer software for them, they should be usable for RTTY, CW, PSK, or whatever you want.

7. KC8YHW

Sound Cards and modes

________________KC0BUF Well tonight we had supper at the stepsons house and he is an IT. His response S&%t I spent a lot of bucks on a mixer and I could have filled up the PCI slots with sound blasters and had more inputs than that POS I bought.

____By the way ladies and gentlemen along the top edge of the sound blaster cards are four jacks for a special CD-ROM to sound card cable. buy a few cables and some RCA pin or stereo jacks and get out the drill to make it look pro. and add four more sources in.

____No more turning around the comp to plug in the radio you are useing, just adjust the gain for that one. I do SSTV off of two radios and sound card modes off of two others so the extra ins are very welcome.

8. KB0GU

KB0GU Ham Member QRZ Page

Impressive

I downloaded it, got familiar with it in a day, enough to get on the air and try it out. Then I wondered how the decode engine compared to Digipan 2 I have been running for a very long time. I brought both programs up at the same time on the same audio out of the rig, and started turning the RF gain on the receiver down. At near completely at its lowest setting Digipan stopped decoding but Airlink was still decoding just fine.
    Next test, I have always disliked when a strong station is nearby and I am trying to copy a very weak DX station and the stronger station overriding the decode on the weaker station. The filters in Airlink work! I have a Kenwood TS870 that I use in USB mode for psk and turn the passband all the way down unless just looking for signals and still had close by stations garble the station of interest. Airlink seems to cure that problem with its several different widths of audio filtering.
    I am going to keep using it for a while and see if I can stick with it for the reason of the super decode it seems to give, although I will miss the ability to watch several other stations for hunting DX.
    Gene Bigham
    KB0GU

9. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Airlink Express site

The site seems to be unavailable, says "Under Construction".

Any other sources for AirLink Express?

10. K0OEH

K0OEH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AIRLINK EXPRESS

I too would like to know what happened to AIRLINK EXPRESS.
    All available sites state Under Construction.
    Any one know when it will be available to download?
    GEORGE, K0OEH

11. N6IPH

N6IPH Ham Member QRZ Page

12. K9FV

K9FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the link - AirLink Express is a GREAT program - it's a very simple interface and works nicely. I see he's now included a radio connection.

73 de Ken H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.