ad: Retevis-1

Airline Passenger Cell Phone Use

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N9CJT, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, folks......we've all been hearing that airlines are going to start allowing cell phone use during flights. For several decades, all use of passenger-owned electronic devices capable of transmitting has been prohibited on the basis of potential interference to navigation equipment. I'm wondering -- has all interference potential been resolved or are we about to see a lot of commercial aircraft flying into the ground without help from foreign terrorists?

2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I think the planes should just trail a long wire and use regular phones.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

at 0.3 watts is about over 1/4 of a watt well lotta money invested in some cell repeater, word has it to communicate to a Bird overhead.

Probably the Airlines may charge extra for this service.

Choice of buying a ticket Cell Phone or No Cell Phone, or just jack the $ price of the ticket anyway. [​IMG]

4. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Isnt't it bad enough to have to listen to people on cell phones in restaurants, elevators, grocery stores etc? But to have to sit next to someone telling their life history on a airplane seat would be reason for mutiny. People with cell phone are the most discourteous people there are. As you can tell I don't own one.
    Curt

5. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

"People with cell phone are the most discourteous people there are."

Very broad statement but I understand what Curt means. I don't agree but do understand.

Two folks sitting right in front or behind having a face to face discussion of their "gall bladder surgery" or "who is doing who" in the family, is equally discourteous to all within hearing range.

In my opinion the cell phone can put half the conversation out of my ear shot and cuts the noise in half. So they can be thought of as a good thing in some circumstances.

Discourteous conversation has existed as long as we humans have had mouths.

6. WB2TPS

WB2TPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell phones would be a huge menace to navigation when passengers rioted and beat the obnoxious users with their own phones.

7. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I always was under the impression that the use of a cell phone in an aircraft at altitude was not a navigational instrument problem but, a problem of being in the range of too many cell sites.  OR  Maybe the arilines just wanted you to use those flight-phones in the back of the seats?

Dennis [​IMG]

8. AC0G

AC0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell phones would be an annoyance for passengers sitting near the cell phone users. It's bad enough when you're sitting in a public place and people have to display their ego by loudly conducting "important business" with them to the chagrin of those around them.
    I'm a cell phone user, but I don't like to think of riding for hours next to someone who uses it constantly.

Howard :rock:

9. W4KHR

W4KHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, that cell phones can cause intererence to navigation systems is malarkey. Airplanes are loaded with electronic equipment and have to be adequately shielded to prevent the systems from interfering with one another. Its all very well tested before a plane is certified.

The truth of the matter is that the airlines want you to pay to use their phones. I'm not looking forward to seeing people use cell phones on airplanes. I don't think it's going to work well, it will be annoying as in a restaurant, and I sort of enjoy the time away from it. But don't tell us it's because of safety. That's BS. And it was because of them that we found out what really happened on Sept. 11th. Nuff said, let's roll....KR

10. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi (high) flyers,

How many cell towers would this light up? It's a well known fact that VHF/UHF rigs at altitude can't be used on repeaters so this idea is as rediculous as they come. The in flight phones are there for a reason, the system is coordinated as it is in ground transportation. Does Amtrak still have on board phones? The frequencies are listed but I'm out of range and unused frequencis abound.

LOL de Warren KB2VXA

11. AC2I

AC2I Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not their conversation that would bother me but the morons who turn their volume all the way up and have downloaded some cheezy pop song as their ring tone. Then they let it ring for a while so everyone can visually acknowledge that they are receiving an incoming call. Although I suppose the same can be said for nextel bleebleblops echoing throughout the plane, supermarket or whereever. I guess the good news is that crying babies won't be quite as annoying anymore.

12. AC2I

AC2I Ham Member QRZ Page

They've had that since the beginning of time.
    I remember I used to try to use a sony walkman, long, long, long before sept 11, and they would say not to use it.

13. W4CLM

W4CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Curt!
    It's not necessary and I don't want any stray RF floating around inside an airplane that would act like a wave guide holding in the RF, while my ass is in the seat at 30,000 Feet!   It's not necesasary, besides they already have phones on planes if you need them!
    73s
    Carol Maher W4CLM

=============
    Isnt't it bad enough to have to listen to people on cell phones in restaurants, elevators, grocery stores etc? But to have to sit next to someone telling their life history on a airplane seat would be reason for mutiny. People with cell phone are the most discourteous people there are. As you can tell I don't own one. Curt

14. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I always understood the main reason for not allowing cell phones in aircraft, after the interference question, was the ability of the phone to access dozens of cells at the same time (30k feet is great antenna height).

Dennis [​IMG]

15. kc8zyy

kc8zyy Ham Member QRZ Page

It would seem to me that just as we use repeaters here on the ground to extend our range using UHF, the reverse would be true if we were at high altitude.... Wouldn't the cell phone be in direct line of sight so to speak with to many cell towers???   Boy... could you see the roaming charges on that [​IMG]   It is an interesting question!!!

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.