AIM & MSN

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VO1GXG, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone here on the MSN or AIM messenger systems ? i like to talk with other hams in real time when off the radio [​IMG]

MSN : VOWR@HOTMAIL.COM
    AIM : VO1GXG

73 !

2. KR4MER

KR4MER Ham Member QRZ Page

im on AIM and MSN

Aim: bonepainbrat

MSN: guy1231@hotmail.com

3. N0XN

N0XN Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AB1N

AB1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless of which instant messaging network you prefer, I highly recommend using Pidgin instead of the proprietary IM client provided by AOL, MSN, Yahoo, etc. It integrates all of those protocols into a single, clean interface, with lots of nice features and no ads, and it's free. I haven't touched the "official" AIM client in probably 3 or 4 years...

5. N0XN

N0XN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Trillian 3.1 Pro. I'm pretty sure it's along the same lines as Pidgin. Can't remember the last time that I actually logged into Yahoo, or any of the others.

6. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't make much use of instant messaging services but they are quite popular with younger folks.

"Pidgin" was formerly known as "Gaim" and is free and open source software. It runs on Windows and Linux.

"Trillian" appears from their website to be proprietary software with a freeware "basic" version and a "pro" version that they charge $25 for. It appears to only run on Windows.

Another free and open source instant messaging programme is "Kopete"Kopete.

Kopete is part of the "KDE" desktop used on many Linux distributions. At one time Kopete handled a couple more instant messaging protocols than "Gaim"...I'm not sure what the situation is now that Gaim has become Pidgin.

7. AA4RM

AA4RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Microsoft live messenger since you already have hotmail account. Need to see WHO you want to talk to is using. You'll find "ham" groups on each.

8. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm on AIM, ICQ and MSN.  Like KC9LUN I use Trillian 3.1 but the basic version.

AIM: wa3kyy
    MSN : dobfam4@juno.com
    ICQ:  I forget. If you want it, ask on one of the others.

I find I use it when checked in to several nets as a way to pass the time with other net members while awaiting my turn for a call. I also use it to communicate with my two sons, one at college and one out on his own since they are on it whenever they are home. I pretty much keep Trillian up whenever I have the computer on but post an away message if I am doing something I would prefer not to be disturbed.

9. VO1GXG

VO1GXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well , I find that most ham have AIM so my AIM is filled with hams .

10. WB7DMX

WB7DMX Ham Member QRZ Page

msm here too, its on all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.