ad: QSLWorks-1

Aftermath of Hurricane Lane & A New Cycle Begins: Solar Storm Forecast 08-30-2018

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Aug 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Aftermath of Hurricane Lane & A New Cycle Begins: Solar Storm Forecast 08-30-2018

M3OZP, K2GSP, M1WML and 11 others like this.
  2. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Good broadcast, as usual, Miss Tamitha. And regarding the far side flaring that will soon come into Earth's view, and ***maybe*** an earlier than first thought beginning of SC25???.....From your mouth, to God's ears. ;) Have a great Labour Day Holiday folks. 73 Carl de NĂ˜CEL

M1WML likes this.
  3. W2HL

W2HL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great report Tamitha!
    Have you received your Amateur radio license yet?
    Looking forward to hearing you on the bands.
    Howard W2HL

M1WML likes this.
  4. W7TJ

W7TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would encourage readers to review this week's ARRL Propagation bulletin for a little better propective on the advent of cycle 25, and how deep and long the low was for cycle 23. First, it would be a real positive if the current cycle would bottom this year instead of a long drawn out low as we had with cycle 23. ( long drawn our lows usually usher in new but low cycles ) Secondly, as pointed our in many sources, new sunspots need to be reverse polarity AND high latitude on the solar disc ( not mid latitude ) to signal the start of a new cycle. Once this has been observed and cycle 25 spots exceed the number of old cycle 24 spots, we are on our way....however... the real key of the new cycle were be not only how quickly the new cycle begins ( in intensity ) but the new sunspots must be magetically strong, complex, and of significant size to have any meaniful effect on the solar flux. This is what dogged cycle 24 from start to where we are now. There is still considerable water that needs to go over the dam before we can cheer the advent of a new cycle - at this point wishful thinking and quite premature.
    Randy W7TJ

M1WML likes this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting explanation.

Here in Honolulu on the Island of Oahu we were indeed fortunate not to experience anything like the 52 inches of rain on the Big Island.
    This Hurricane was a slow mover as it inched northward, weakening and then moving off to the West as a Tropical Storm.

Live TV coverage from the Big Island seemed to be on 24/7 and
    Comms in general were secure apart from heavily flooded areas.
    Statewide Ham VHF/UHF systems were mostly secure too.

As Oahu's Mayor so aptly put it " We dodged a bullet ". :O

G3SEA/KH6

M1WML and KP4SX like this.
  7. KX1B

KX1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad we have started Solar Cycle 25! I love the enthusiasm that you report this with :)

M1WML and K5VZD like this.
  8. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Great report, and bring on SC-25!!!

M1WML likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

RANDY THANK YOU.jpg
    CFO Hip hip horray 3 beers A GREAT SYNOPSIS.jpg
    ====== SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY k1lkp.jpg

M1WML likes this.
  10. KF5ZPL

KF5ZPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dr. Tamitha
    Thank you once again for a full blown comprehensive report for the week and the starting of Solar cycle 25.
    Very informative. Keep up the good work..
    Brad KF5ZPL

M1WML likes this.
  11. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

great broadcast thank you tamitha....

12. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes she did. There was a small tidbit about it on ham nation.

M1WML likes this.
  13. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The bottom of cycle 24 was projected to be between 5/1/18 through to 9/1/18 this video is good news! de KA1BSZ VT M.

M1WML likes this.
  14. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

She's great.

15. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

A good analysis. I follow the cycles with interest, but never let the cycle position dictate my operating. I'm happily operating 12m many days of the week, where many texts keep on chugging out the same received wisdom that this band is now dead. Sure, I can't have a ragchew with friends in the US on SSB, but there are plenty of strong digital signals to Latin America, etc.

It is what you let it be.