After the Storm

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KN4LGK, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KN4LGK

KN4LGK Ham Member QRZ Page

i still consider myself a beginner so hopefully this isn’t a dumb question. When I set up my station I installed a Hustler 6BTV with 20 ground radials. I took my time and tuned it and had pretty good performance.

About 8 weeks ago we were in the path of an F4 tornado that rolled through at midnight and the edge caught us pretty good. When daylight came we had lost 30 plus very large live oaks but there stood the un guyed vertical in perfect condition. The problem now is that I’ve had a marked decrease in performance. So either the bands are very bad or something has changed from the storm. I’m going to retune this weekend but is it possible the missing trees could have any effect?

I am planning to add another 40 radials as part of this work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
    Glen
    KN4LGK

2. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you recorded your SWR curves on installation, a quick review may be a helpful first step.
    I keep a notebook starting with the first layout and noting changes as I modify the antenna.
    Mike N3PM

AK5B and WB5THT like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt the trees have anything to do with it.

Something happened to the antenna. However, if it worked before, the traps don’t need to be re-tuned. They may need to be carefully inspected for damage, though.

AK5B likes this.
  4. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems the missing trees would be a good thing, as they can offer absorption at some frequencies - depends how close they were. If they're farther away than 50-100 yards they'd have no effect good or bad. If you check the impedance on each band and don't see any problems you're probably ok - that would be the way to determine damage to traps and other new problems.

The bands aren't great right now, that is true; 40m here in late afternoon is serving up high noise levels and weak signals - and improves greatly after dark. 20 and 17m are good throughout. Just one example.

AK5B likes this.