ad: tbdxc-1

After nearly 67 years of being a ham, I finally got on 6 meters.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W9JEF, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My 6 meter half-wave dipole just put up this morning. Actually had it up last evening at dusk, but no noise, and full-scale SWR. (Note to self: :oops: when soldering to F-connector, be careful that the heat doesn't melt the plastic, allowing the contact to slip too far out.) Used a pre-made 25-foot length of RG-6.

DSC02138.JPG
    The roof ladders were made of redwood. The dipole favors east and west. Worked a station near Tucson, and a couple in the Phoenix area. One who had given me a 559 with the vertical, now reports 599. :cool:

DSC02137.JPG
    Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

KQ9J and KO4ESA like this.
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

DSC02136.JPG
    My first 6 meter antenna was the quarter-wave vertical on the metal roof (see the OP). I used the existing coax to the back porch patch panel to feed it. This involved unscrewing the PL-259 “UHF” connector from its normal connection to the B&W ME165/G SWR/power meter/ dummy load, and connect into the back porch cable. To simplify the transition, I now use the more easily transferred BNC connector that connects the IC-7300 to the input of the Bandit for a direct connection to the 6 meter half-wave dipole. But I needed an adapter to connect BNC to the F-connector of the RC-6 coax feeding the dipole. I found an old CB radio with a female “UHF” connector, so went to our local Radio Shack and got a BNC-to-“UHF” adaptor. The CB case provides a way to permanently ground the dipole coax.

DSC02142.JPG
    Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    KQ9J and KO4ESA like this.