ad: HamInsurance-1

After nearly 67 years of being a ham, I finally got on 6 meters.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W9JEF, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year, I made a point to get out into an actual field (a city park) for Field Day, just to prove that it could be done. I was thinking of doing the same this year, but I had to work earlier in the day, and we also had rain. Switching to emergency power just meant plugging the FT-817 into the trusty fish finder battery.

I think I had a total of about 4 QSOs on 6 meters. I was mostly concentrating on 10 whenever it was open to get some of those elusive close-in states for 5BWAS.

KO4ESA and W9JEF like this.
  2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KQ9J

Posted a reply yesterday but I was using my phone and my fumble fingers must have deleted my comments before I sent it.

I was never on 6 meters either until I bought the 3000 about 7 years ago (is it that long already? :) ) except for one time at Field Day. Bought a little PAR Omni-Angle antenna which sits at 30 feet on the tower.

Worked Japan on it yesterday, my best DX on 6 meters so far. I think I'm up to 12 countries on 6 now. It sure is fun when the band is open and when it's really cookin' you don't need a real great antenna. I still want to put a yagi up on the tower, but it never seems to happen. :)

4. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How can I order a couple (to stack for low-angle gain)? According to the company website, the only distributor I could find, they're discontinued. :( :mad: https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/4465.html

Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    KO4ESA likes this.
  5. KQ9J

6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W9JEF

On 50.0305 MHz, just worked @WA1JAS in Penobscot County, Maine. My best 6meter DX so far at 1505.4 miles. Still on the same quarter-wave vertical, up 9 feet BAGL. Previous best was @K7WDA in Tucson, AZ; 985.2 miles.

Jim

KO4ESA and G0CIQ like this.
  8. W9JEF

Just emailed them for pricing, and unfortunately:
    :(

I think I'll try to fabricate something horizontal, for the CQ VHF 'test next weekend; something above the house roof.

Jim

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. W9JEF

Forgot to mention, the AZ station was loud, and reported that I was also loud there.

The Maine contact (uphill on our terrain) was 459 both ways.

Jim

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn... As I like that setup. I hope you work something out.