After nearly 67 years of being a ham, I finally got on 6 meters.

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W9JEF, Jun 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K1JNT

K1JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

A bi-square cut for 6m also works fairly well...112" 14ga Flexweave per side...54 1/4" ladder line matching stub (derived by dip meter) and 1:1 balun. A little better than the rectangular loop I had been using.

KO4ESA and W9JEF like this.
  2. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The illustration is unclear as to which lines are conductors v. insulators. Is there a better drawing somewhere?
    [​IMG]
    Jim
    EARTH: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Got an email from my buddy who worked the VHF contest and SOTA activations with me this weekend. One of his 6m contacts, using my homebrew 6m EFHW hung vertically and connected to his 5w FT-818 was 750 miles away! QRP and cross-polarization losses, yet he still did it. :)

Chris

KO4ESA, G0CIQ and W9JEF like this.
  4. K3EO

K3EO Ham Member QRZ Page

All bold lines labeled with small letters "l" of which there are three and capital letters "L" of which there are four are conductors. The ropes, Halyard and guy lines are non-conductive.

Due to its size on 6 meters, the wires are not self supporting so you may have to build a frame using wood or PVC or whatever is non-conductive.

See link - https://sites.google.com/site/wvfisher/hdoublebayphotos

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. W9JEF

[​IMG][​IMG]
    If solid lines are conductors, the image on the left, where the coax connects, has a direct short. The one on the right is more clear. Its polarization looks to be mostly vertical.

Jim

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Best way to build the HDB I've found is to cut the perimeter as one piece and attach the center wire with tiny SS rope clamps or similar. Resonance is easily achieved with shortening or lengthening the perimeter at the bottom feed point, and the 50Ω SWR can be exactly achieved by moving the center wire up or down. All of mine are below 1.1:1 (FT8 freqs) and I've got them from 17-6M. I interlace them at 90° so I can get 2 antennas on one support. You only need a quarter turn to cover the whole 360°. PVC works good as spreaders for the horizontal wires.

I compared my 15M one to a Moxon I built and it was no different, the H was bidirectional however. And yes they are horizontally polarized, not that it matters. My 17M one is only 12' or so off the ground at the bottom, but works as good as my 70' dipole, sometimes one is better than the other, it just depends on propagation.

7. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It does matter for tropospheric propagation on 6 meters, not so much for ionospheric like sporadic E

8. W9JEF

Considerable FD activity on 6 meters today. On CW, still with my simple vertical, worked 2 in Kentucky, and 2 in my home state of Wisconsin.

Jim

KO4ESA and G0CIQ like this.
  9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

And don't forget the one in Minnesota, namely, me! I thought that call sounded familiar. I was running 5 watts, with my FT-817, to my HF fan dipoles. I suspect most of the signal is coming out of the 40 meter element, which is approximately 7/2 wavelength on 6. It goes to show you don't need much of an antenna when the band is open.

KO4ESA and KC7JNJ like this.
  10. W9JEF

Hey... now that you mention it, your call did elicit an intimation of familiarity. I'm still using (as seen in the OP) that quarter-wave vertical. And--as were most of my contacts--I was Class 1D.

Kudos to you--for using emergency power. I had thought about operating the 7300 from out in the car, but the rain put a damper (pun intended) on that.

Jim

KO4ESA likes this.