AES Going Out of Business...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NL7W, Jul 6, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess this debunks the theory that there is no future market with Ham Radio?

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, we don't. We need to deal with it, is all. Change in and of itself is not necessarily good. And no matter how one tries to avoid it, we all become extinct someday. Even the speaker.

If someone is somehow hurting themselves by refusing to change where a thing is concerned, then that may be a different story...but otherwise if one is comfortable with a thing, do it your way as long as you can. :)

NL7W and KC9UDX like this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure there will be a flea market.

4. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. It's like just about halfway between freeways (I-43, and Hwy 45/I-41) on Good Hope Rd., and you have to deal with umpteen traffic lights before you get to AES.

NL7W and KC9UDX like this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but not just that. It's only quick getting there from the north. Anywhere outside Milwaukee, especially to the south, or worse, southwest like I am, and it's a long, long ways away.

It would be better for everyone in every direction (except close range of where it is now) if it was in Brookfield.

But I won't complain. I got a job close to AES so I can go there after work. :)

6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Going out of business reinforces the theory that there is no future market with Ham Radio

7. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I would not go that far. I still think ham radio is healthy and vibrant.

However, my concerns are:

1. Although the number of licensed hams grows, the number of active hams is decreasing which means fewer sales.
    2. With AES out of the business, I fear that prices will rise somewhat. Less competition always translates into a price hike. Fortunately, the markup on ham gear is low so price won't move up that much. And, with a strong dollar, that should keep things stable for the near future.

de NK2U

K1OIK likes this.
  8. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]Found this in a Google Image search for W9DIA. The only other face I remember (besides Terry) is Ted, W9NHE,

9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

The "King of Traders". Or maybe not so much.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamfest flea markets, estate sales and classified ads. That's where I have got most of mine for the past 5+ decades.

How much longer will manufacturers even produce dedicated amateur radio equipment? It's likely a money loser.

Has anyone visited the Walter Ashe store in St Louis lately?