Aeronautical Mobile Over Mount St. Helens

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by W7NY, Nov 18, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W7NY

W7NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This flight took us over Mount St. Helens to test the recently installed 2 meter FM radio (ICOM IC-2300) using the simplex national call frequency (146.520) to determine radio coverage and activity level on the 2 meter amateur radio band.

I was astonished at the incredible responses to my call as a "pile-up" quickly formed around the call frequency.

It truly was an amazing experience to see the snow covered volcano from 9,000 feet in the air while having radio conversations with my ham radio friends on the ground.

NOTE: Some QSOs are truncated due to audio editing. However, each QSO contains enough audio to clearly identify the calling station.

W2SGM and K7TRF like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most enjoyable escape for this morning. I like your flying style! bill.

3. W7NY

Thanks much! Having a blast!

K0UO likes this.
  4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Who says 6.52 is dead. :D

Fun video,

It was fun to see McChord from the air. I was there for a couple years in the early 80s when the base had 4 types of aircraft flying out of there. It almost seemed abandon in your fly over. At least from the way it used to look back then.

5. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Aeronautical mobile is fun. In the mid-nineties I took a 2M hand-held up and worked some stations from a Tobago TB10 at around 5500 feet.

6. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From 1971-1981 I lived in South Orange County CA. One of my neighbors and close friends at the time was a former USAF SAC B 52 pilot who was flying as PIC for a major airline. He flew 747's on the LA to London route. That meant he "worked" only a few days each month and during his off time we chased DX together and ran marathons. He was older than I but could easily out run me.

When he would take off from LAX and head NE across the USA before transiting to over the pole we would talk on a 2 meter simplex frequency. I was often amazed at how far away he was when we lost propagation. He was using just an HT with "rubber duck" antenna. When we lost 2 meter propagation he would switch to the aircraft's HF radio and we would continue our QSO on 40 or 20 meters. Lots of fun with frequent pauses in our QSO's while he did the flying thing and talked to ATC.

7. W7NY

in my experience flying over McCord there is never much activity unless there is an ongoing exercise.

8. W7NY

Yes indeed, it is definitely a blast! Got to remind myself to focus on controlling the airplane and navigating before working the radio.

9. W7NY

Yes, I have been surprised at the distances that can be worked as long as there remains a line of sight. The other day I was working only five watts from the airplane and reaching out to 150 miles from altitude.

I would love to work HF for the airplane, but I would only probably do that if I wasn’t flying. Takes too much focus, much more than working 2 meters on Symplex or pre-programmed repeaters.