ad: Alphaant-1

AE4FB "Mikey" Passed away Friday Jan. 25 2019 after a lengthy illness.

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KD8JMQ, Jan 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8JMQ

KD8JMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many will remember his participation in the "posum" net which was on 3843. A good friend of mine and many others. I will surely miss him.

KO4ESA and W2BBQ like this.
  2. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That's sad to hear. I enjoyed the Possum Net back when Crusty and crowd was in there. RIP.

KO4ESA, W2BBQ and KD8JMQ like this.
  3. KD8JMQ

Yep. Crusty and Mikey were the main reason I got interested in 80 meters.

4. KD8JMQ

Correction..."possum" Net was the way they spelled it. Mike told me there was a story behind that but; it escapes me at the moment.

5. W0LOM

W0LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike you keyed the mike for the last time and your not around to talk about our flying saucers we captured from the mars attack had a lot of fun with that over the air . I know it took a lot of mean green to the green slim out of them. That's just one of many memories I have. For the gullible listeners who laugh along we really never captured flying saucers it was all make believe. I know some of you was hopping we would fly over your location. One last 73 head possum you have now signed off.

6. KD0BCF

KD0BCF Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first got back into ham radio in 2007 after decades of forgetting about it, Mikey was the first voice I heard. I became part of the Possum Net with Mikey, Crusty, Des and many others. Mikey, “The Head Possum” was the star of the show of course followed very closely by my all time favorite possum, Crusty. We had some great times on the air back in those days. I have many many great memories from those days. Mikey and I had a complex relationship, we didn’t always agree but we always managed to work things out and remain friends and allies. Mikey frequently told me I held the all time record for getting thrown off the Possum Net the most number of times. I’m sure it’s true but we still managed to connect again and again and again. Even when I was “banned” Mikey would call me frequently on my cell or land line at all hours...and I do mean all hours...even as recently as a few months ago. I’ll miss Mikey, if he got mad at you he usually didn’t stay mad long. I can think of one or two exceptions to that observation but no need to name names...most who knew Mikey know who I’m talking about. Mikey was an original, one of the greats IMO. He was smart, he was well informed and he didn’t suffer fools gladly. Mike & I were friends regardless of the impression we might have left on some from time to time, I’m glad I ran into him along the way. It was fun Mikey...sometimes :) 73 my friend,

“Godless” kd0bcf

7. W0LOM

W0LOM Ham Member QRZ Page

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad I got to visit him the past few months. I will be on 3.843 tonight

9. W8YG

W8YG Ham Member QRZ Page

73 to Mikey . I will never forget those hot debates , late night qrmers and the reprobates. I will miss Crusty the insane clown and you Mr headly posum. Those early morning radio fights with Pope Master and numerous others hahahahaha. Those nights of radio when we all became legends. I am going to miss your cantankerous old hide and yea olde posum net.

10. KD8JMQ

11. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

12. KD8JMQ

Thanks Lee for updating Mikes qrz page.

KO4ESA and K2HAT like this.
  13. KC0OW

KC0OW Ham Member QRZ Page

thankful for all the late-nite laughs u supplied me with on 3.843 over the years, mikey. i was lucky enough to have an amplifier so mikey let me check-in to the possum net. i asked mikey one time about why when he was tuning-up his transmitter he'd always say "walk-ah..... walk-ah..... walk-ah." his answer had something to do with his belief that that word would put out the maximum amount of audio for tune-up purposes. so, don't be surprised if sometime u still hear someone out there tuning-up that way.........he'll most likely be a possum.

may u RIP head possum. u were most definitely a ham radio original, you didn't suffer fools gladly and u will be missed.

73's de "o -w"

KO4ESA, K4QN and W2BBQ like this.
  14. KC4QVA

KC4QVA Ham Member QRZ Page

If ya'll had been using VOX i could have gotten in here a lot faster.(Hi) Guess that was one of Mikey's pet peeves,didn't have the heart to tell him i was using ptt...... he probably knew.Now when the vfo sweeps past 3843 will i remember it sorrowfully.....no alas, i think i will remember it with a smile.Farewell my 'ole friend (aka he who Dances with Ducks). de KC4QVA -..-. ???? -..-. ~~~~~

15. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lowering My Radials To Half Staff
    Mike and I go back to around 1990 when we both lived in Atlanta and met on 11 Meters. I hope it doesn't surprise anyone that Headly O. Possum came from there. Mikey was a Wild Guy who lived a Wide-Open L 1.flagmonkey.jpg 1homerham.jpg ife and you can imagine that he was a cherished character on the Wide Wild World of CB just as he was on 80 Meters and anywhere and everywhere he talked. In the mid 90's a mutual group of us locals decided to take the foray into the Ham World and get our licenses. And so the fun continued through the whole gamut of nice equipment, modes and working all bands.
    I could probably write a small book talking about and trying to describe Michael DeWitt Adams. He was the clearly the Poster Boy for Annie Lennoxs' - "Legend In My Living Room" :D LOL. Mike is (not was but IS) highly intelligent, insanely funny, a consummate communicator, a Loyal Friend, a Friend of Dogs and an ignorer of cats, generous to a fault, hater of conservative republicans and bullshit rules, a Prince of the Grateful Deadheads, culinary connoisseur/foodie, Beer Drinking Buddy, .... and he was always just My Friend. I was with him several times a week during the early and mid '90's as I was a part-time employee of his - besides the friendship, performing much handyman & landscape maintenance type work for him while joining in on all the radio shenanigans ... and those days and years I count as among the favorites of my life. All the times playing with his beloved dogs Snert, the long-haired Black Lab mix and then that giant blonde Bavarian Sheep Hound you see on his Profile here on QRZ. Mike is both irascible and irreplaceable. The Possum Lodge is Closed in his honor. Mike and I mostly grew apart after I moved away from Atlanta in '95 to the NE Ga. mountains ... but forgetting Mike Adams will be something I can never do or ever want to do. And how I look forward to QSL'ing Mike again if we can meet up on the Next Band.
    TNX to KD8JMQ for this post ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    KO4ESA likes this.