ad: UR5CDX-1

Advice to those upgrading: Don't Take The Easy Way Out

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WW1F, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1WMT

K1WMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow Lee, you sure bring back old memories. I studied from that book in 1973. Still have it on my shelf. Too much blood, sweat and tears to chuck it, though I haven't cracked it open since. :)

2. KK4VLR

KK4VLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I really agree with you. When I heard about a local hamcram last fall, I walked in blind not knowing it was not an orientation but a test prep.
    Half the material was familiar from other electronic experience so I sat for the test. Barely passed. Now I was licensed ignoramus Technician.
    Not a comfortable place for a person who takes pride in having in-depth knowledge in other pursuits.

So I spent a lot of time catching up in various Technician-level books trying to learn what I should have known.

Then Field Day fired me up about HF and I realized it would be necessary to get a General upgrade for it to be most practical and enjoyable.
    So I started studying hard in August. Still wasn't getting farther than "memorization" using the Gordon West books and a couple of other sources. Then HRO in Atlanta stocked new books by W0STU who also runs a website with them - hamradioschool.com.

Now I feel more like I understand some of the concepts and I am getting 90-100 on the practice exams. Can't wait to take the test at our State Convention Hamfest Nov. 1st!

I appreciate the advice on other AARL books that I can study like the basic antennas book so I can be better-versed in the realities there after my exam.

As a corporate trainer, I heavily emphasize the "whys" in the classes and handouts I provide to my internal students in my company.
    I have tried to look simpler things up on the more popular sites, and I try to ask my patient local elmer things only the "voice of experience" can help you understand and what to avoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.