Advice to those upgrading: Don't Take The Easy Way Out

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WW1F, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AC9HO

AC9HO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well for me I am going to continue to study the exam questions and see if I will be ready by Feb. 22. At the same time I am reading the Extra study guide and will finish reading even if I pass the test.

2. NI7I

NI7I Guest

On this we disagree/. I serously believe that simply reading the manuals weould get uoiur rig on the air with no other knowlege needed but the
    ability to read the manual.

Lee
    NI7I

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

That's a good idea/. Study the material and use the practice tests to guage your progress.

Lee
    NI7I

4. AD0EC

AD0EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good on you for wanting to learn radio theory, op.

I passed the Technician and General and Extra elements all in one morning last May. Passed them all 100% except on the Extra I missed 3 questions.

I studied for two weeks. About an hour a day. I knew the test session was coming up soon so I knew I had a deadline and therefore I was motivated. I did not have time to learn the "why" of every single question. Who has time for that anyway? Lol. It would take someone years to do that in order to get their license and they could have been on the air where it really matters.

I am on a life long journey of learning about ham radio. But no, I'm not wasting time on polar coordinates and other stuff I have no desire to know about. And that's ok. Doesn't make me or anyone else any less if they just want to memorize the answers to get started in the hobby. I just made sure to read and reread Part 97 to be a good little ham.

It's just a hobby guys..but a great one!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Well, actually, it does. A lot of that stuff you have no desire to learn has something to do with operating your station within the
    parameters set by the fcc. If you dont understand it, there is a good chance that you arent doing that and are not even aware of a
    problem. Two whole weeks of study... wow..

Lee
    NI7I

6. AD0EC

AD0EC Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. Cause knowing that will make sure I stay within the parameters of good engineering practices dictated by the FCC..maybe if you're a homebrewer. And then, maybe..

K then. And yep. 2 weeks of studying and a life time of learning. Deal with it. :)

7. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Sounds to me that you are more than a tad sensitive about your lack of basic knowledge.. It doesn't bother me except when you claim to be on a par
    with those of us who have that knowledge.. You are not. It's ok with me.

Lee
    NI7I

8. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Be surprised what the Extra can do for you.

9. W2WCC

W2WCC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find getting my ham license to be a lot like when I got my teaching license. I got certified to teach, then got in front of a room full of middle school kids as a 22 year old newbie and discovered I had a lot still to learn. Getting my ham license was no different. I still have a lot to learn, which for me if part of the fun of the hobby.

On a related note I really want to upgrade to extra. Any suggestions on study guides? Is the ARRL book good, or is another one better?

Tony

10. N5NTL

N5NTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my tech and general about 3 weeks ago. Last Sunday I got my extra. I went one step further on my extra and didn't memorize the questions. I literally looked at the 4 possible answers and since they are the same for each particular question I just memorized those and could have passed the test with no questions at all by simply looking at the 4 possible questions I could tell what the correct answer was.

Was that the best way? I dunno. I looked at it an intro course to tell you what's out there. I did read and actually learn the answers in a few sections that pertained to operation and rules. However you're not going to design a circuit by learning what's on the test. I looked at it as an intro and the stuff I am interested in or leaarn along the way that I need to actually investigate and learn I will.

Sorry if that offends anyone.

I couldn't tell you what percent I got right. The VE's where I took my tech and general said they never release it, you either pass or fail. I went out of state and took my extra and they said the same thing, that they aren't supposed to tell you how many you missed. Sounded like BS to me since I see so many mention it.

The first week I had my station set up after I got my license I didn't transmit at all, just listen. I will say that looking a giant 24"x36" band plan I plotted and hung on the wall at my station while listening I learned more in a few hours of moving around the bands listening and looking at the band plan that I learned in the entire time of studying for the test. Maybe it was just the way it was present or as they say the best way to learn is by doing.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.