Advice to those upgrading: Don't Take The Easy Way Out

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WW1F, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK4PLD

KK4PLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the OP initial post. As a newly licensed General Class I am in the same boat but believe it or not I get bored trying to make contacts and getting signal reports and the like then moving on. I found out that buy reading the material has sparked an interest in the hobby itself, a knowledge of things that show me how things really work. The license to me was a starting point and not the finish line. I have built and tested antennas trying to make my station better. I realized that as I learn more I grow, as I grow I make a better station, if my station is better I can others better….etc…you see my point. There are so many improvements I can make before I spend a lot of money on new equipment.

Sometimes the book learning is a bit to go through but I found out by taking topics that I am interested in and reading the material, it makes it easier.

2. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that being on the air was the easiest way to learn. I studied for about 2 weeks and took my tech and general exams, but I learned WAY more by being on the air. Also, being on the air allowed me to meet people I would have never known, who eventually showed me the ropes. The path to becoming a skilled operator is more than just studying. Study, get on the air, check into a few nets and monitor a repeater or three, and you will meet people, and that's what makes the difference.

3. NI7I

NI7I Guest

I have been participating in conversations on the air for a good number of years. I cant remember the last time I discussed any electronics theory.
    I have to call BS ob the learn on the air theory. The best way to learn theory is in a classroom. The next best, in my opinio, is by studying a text.
    The best thing to do would be to get the syllabus that the fcc publishes which would give you a good idea of what they expect youto know and study
    accordingly. Bill Shraders book is a good one. He even has little tests at the end of each chapter. The problem I have with folk who say that the
    test is just a doorway to learning is that, you are suposed to know the stff before you get your ticket, not after.

Lee
    NI7I

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, getting a station on the air that can make contacts usually involves a substantial amount of learning, but not too much theory unless you want it to.

5. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have to remember stuff. Now I have a smart phone and the internet.

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

It is evident that you can put up a station with virtually no knowledge except the ability to read. It can be done with no knowledge of theory
    what so ever.

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Here, I fixed it for you!

8. NI7I

NI7I Guest

And display this trait well. You also manage other traits I wont go into. You fixed nothing for me. that would imply that I asked for or somehow needed
    your condescending help. I dont

NI7I

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Cirious... What knowledge or "substantial amountof learing" is required to set up a station today? All that is required is
    the abiuluity to read and follow instructions. You could eve compare manuals written before the great dumbing down
    and those written today. Manuals today seem to be aimed at folk with no background in electronics or radio communications.
    I wouild warrant that you could take an average 6th grade student, give him a store bought antenna, a rig, and mic and he
    would have the station ready for on the air testing post haste.

When you disagree with somebody, it would serve you well to drop the smarmy attitude and state your disagreement.

NI7I

10. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just the act of setting up the radio and antenna, and actually getting it to work would make that person more knowledgeable than one who just memorized the answers in the book. You assume that the teenager would actually read the manual. Just reading the manual would teach him a few things. Just look at the learning curve faced by the newbie with a Chinese radio!

I do agree, though, that the way we do things today is a lot like putting 1,000 monkeys in a room full of typewriters. Most of them will NOT write the great American novel. But if they don't tear the typewriters apart and try to eat them, that's a good thing, and I think we are beyond that point. I don't remember having to produce a diploma from an engineering school to get any ham license, either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.