Advice/suggestions for good/best ATU for Icom 7300

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by GW3JVB, Mar 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. GW3JVB

GW3JVB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All

I wonder could anyone with experience or knowledge please advise as to which might be the most sensible option to consider for an ATU to use with the ICOM 7300 please.

I have just got myself a nice new ICOM7300 and though I am only able to utilise a full length g5rv antennae I'd like some opinions on which ATU I should consider for use with this excellent rig please.

Thoughts and comments welcome.
    Thanks

MW6 WHL

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It has an automatic tuner built in (which is rated to accommodate up to a 3:1 VSWR).

You want an additional one, outboard?

K0UO likes this.
  3. GW3JVB

GW3JVB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always understood that an external ATU would likely perform better than any internal one, hence asking. Am I mistaken, is this not the case ?

4. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

My IC7300 is perched atop an MFJ-989C.
    I'd spend the TUNER budget on a high power," Legal Limit rated"Manual, roller inductor antenna tuner.

WA9UAA, K0UO, K6LPM and 1 other person like this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

my sg230 tunes all bands with a -piece of wire.
    i use both internal and sg ext, great setup.someone will say dont do that. ignore them and just try it !!

or use the icom ah4..

GW3JVB likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Better?"

Unlikely.

"Wider matching range?" -- yes, very likely.

A good manually adjustable tuner can often match VSWR >10:1 in the "high" direction (>500 Ohms) and ~5:1 in the "low" direction (<10 Ohms) over a wide range of reactance, both + and -. So "greater range" is pretty likely. But if your full-sized (102' long) G5RV is properly installed, it should provide <3:1 VSWR on 40m, 20m and 12m as well as a portion of 80m. You'd need a better (wider range) tuner to use it on 60m, 30m, 17m, 15m or 10m.

WA8FOZ, WB5YUZ and GW3JVB like this.
  7. KC3HUM

KC3HUM Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a ldg auto tuner. Super quick and they tune quite a wide mis match.

KO4LZ and GW3JVB like this.
  8. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 3 solid-state rigs (100 W), all with internal tuners. I prefer to use an external tuner that will handle 1 kW. My horizontal loop and my Carolina Windom require a tuner. I record the tuner settings for each antenna. If the settings differ a lot from the ones recorded, I know something is wrong with the antenna or feed line. I tune for minimum SWR on the meter on the rig.

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the LDG AT100 and AT200, with the interconnect cable, on a 7300 and had no trouble at all.
    The two antenna connectors are a nice touch.
    Mike N3PM

KO4LZ likes this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My experience, having used a number of different external auto tuners, is that they do not tune a broader SWR range than the one built into the 7300. If you need a higher power tuner that's one thing. If you want a broader range tuner go with a manual, not auto, tuner.