Advice on the dreaded "HOA Letter"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5EDI, Jul 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K5EDI

K5EDI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Friend got the dreaded Hoa letter concerning his antenna he put up in the back yard. Looked thru the forum concerning helpful tips, but only saw many references to HB 555, and Hb 1301 links. Looking for some ammunition for his response to the letter. He does need to supply plans and drawings and have the item approved per the HOA guidelines for any yard modification. Would appreciate anyone who has some info to let me know if you have crossed paths down this road. Anyone who has traveled to the east feel free to shoot me a personal message. The friend did a very nice fold over antenna base from Dx eng with a vertical that is a multiband setup. Probably 16'ish feet high. Don't think it is visible from the front of the house, but suspect a nasty neighbor is involved.. Would appreciate on topic responses please.. We do have a real good skywarn group no too far from this party , thought that would be a good route to follow. Anyhoo Thanks for reading and look forward to helping a local New Ham that is really having fun in the Hobby...

God Bless , 73 , and Have a good day..

Prosise

2. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again with HOA threads....I'm sure you'll get many responses. Hate to be the devil's advocate but WHY didn't your friend approach the HOA board about his antenna project FIRST?? What will he do if they tell him to take it down?? Yes, he can tell them to "get lost" and go from there.

N2EY and K1SZO like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean, your friends flagpole?

KD8ZMN, K9ASE and N2SUB like this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think emergency communication, like MARS or Skywarn, might be a good approach. I'm in an HOA restricted community and I've got a pretty noticeable OCF. When people ask me about it I tell them it's for emergency weather, health and safety purposes. I never hear another word. Being that it's made it all the way to the board, this may be a bigger fish to fry. He can always follow KV6O's suggestion and simply hang a flag on top. In SC they cannot force you to take down a flagpole even if the covenants say they are illegal.....it was a big deal here a few years back.

5. W2AI

W2AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't sound like a 'flagpole' antenna to me. OP described it as a DXengineering multiband vertical mounted on a tilt-over base.

6. KA6IBM

KA6IBM Ham Member QRZ Page

move..If you can't paint your house whatever color you want, or you can't put up an antenna, IT AIN'T YOUR HOUSE

K8AI, KV4RH, KF4ZKU and 10 others like this.
  7. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Without copies of any land use restrictions, Association rules and the notice, informed advice really can't given.
    You might want a lawyer to look things over.

N5PZJ, KF4ZKU, AB8MA and 2 others like this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The above excerpt implies his HOA has in place a process to seek and hopefully approve exemptions and waivers.
    Two considerations are important, the first being the obvious:
    1. A specific antenna limitation, and
    2. A process by which modifications may be granted.

Make sure the requirements for modification requests are followed precisely which will avoid the HOA denial based on process issues.

As to the first, while it won't hurt to include subjective reasons such as emergency communications, he might have a better argument describing how the proposed antenna would be as unobtrusive as possible. Letters from any/all abutting neighbors stating their consent would likely have an impact but only if the approving authority is open-minded.

9. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Have your pal contact a Volunteer Counsel in your area. You can find them on the ARRL website.

These are local lawyers who are amateurs and who will have experience in these matters.

N5PZJ, WA8FOZ, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Make up with your neighbor....er....have your friend make up with his neighbor.

NL7W, W2AI, W4IOA and 1 other person like this.