ad: Bamatech-1

Advice on my new antenna farm

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N4CVX, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4CVX

N4CVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you all think about this configuration? I'm trying to make sure wire antennas don't cross over each other.
    N4CVX Antennas.jpeg

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

They may not be crossing over each other but that sure doesn't mean they still won't interact!

N4CVX likes this.
  3. N4CVX

Could you expand on that possibility? Interaction meaning interference with each other's patterns?

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly, especially broadside to each other (more or less). Any way you can give each horizontal wire more space?

If not, do what you can with what supports you have where they are. It will still be a lot better than many installations that most have---so enjoy it---it''s not a deal-breaker, by any means.

Jeff

N4CVX likes this.
  5. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many antennas why not a dipole cut for 160 fed with open wire, use a tuner. You could get a beam for directivity on the higher bands also verticals would not interact much with the dipole.

WN1MB, WA8FOZ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

But, but, one can never have too many antennas! :eek:

Actually, your 160m doublet is a very good idea.;)

Jeff

K0UO likes this.
  7. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS is an "antenna farm":

473E4696-D2DD-489F-9D0A-A743859BCACB.jpeg

W3LPL I believe.

K0UO and AK5B like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why so many antennas that are actually redundant?

But the only problem I see is the 30m and 80m antennas being too close to parallel, and the third harmonic of 80m is 30m (very close) so they will most surely interact.

If you really want all that, I'd eliminate the 30m dipole entirely and load up the 80m antenna on 30m; but if it were me, I wouldn't use so many antennas that essentially cover the same spectrum and would opt for a parallel dipole for several bands as high above ground as I could get it and call it a day. The "20m end fed" is unlikely to work better, or even as well, as a properly installed G5RV which is 3 half-waves on 20m and should match very well and provide a bit of gain over an end-fed...for the same band.

Height is more important than how they're oriented: A G5RV, for example, has to be >33' above ground at its center to allow the window line to fall perpendicular to the antenna. Higher is way better.

WN1MB, WA8FOZ, M0AGP and 3 others like this.
  9. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have room a 160 meter full wave loop would also be an excellent choice. Use low loss coax or ladder line.

W2TH, N4CVX and AK5B like this.
  10. N4CVX

N4CVX Antennas Ver 0002.jpeg

OK! Thanks for the excellent advice. Here is my "Version 2" layout. More advice and assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Dave

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    AK5B likes this.