Advice on AM roundtables and such

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by W7UUU, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Not what I mean OM! The buzzardly transmissions get a bit too long winded during a multi op roundtable.
    When I was doing a lot of AM fone I would limit myself to the 5 minute rule as did our other rountable participants.
    It's only good manners and keeps it flowing and interesting...

K0OKS and W7UUU like this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The transmission length topic is about as subjective as you can get. I've heard old buzzardly transmissions that were content-rich, riveting, and made for great listening with the radio on while working on a project. Granted, it's a bit different if I'm not waiting to key up, so it depends to a degree on whether the listener is active or passive.

Conversely, some launch into filibuster mode which usually leads to other ops keying up behind announcing that they're signing to get dinner, celebrate a birthday, prep for a colonoscopy, etc. Then at the conclusion of the broadcast, the op finds himself alone on the frequency.

Bottom line, the longer the transmission, the more responsibility the op has to consider the interest level of the entire group. It's their time too. That's important.

AC0OB likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The weaker they are, the longer they talk.

W2VW likes this.
  4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I love the guys who break into a qso, say they do not have much time, talk about all sorts of non radio things for 15 minutes that were not the topics before the break in, then sign out.
    Do they realize what they are doing?

Then there are guys who take 20 minutes to say what could be said in 5.
    I think many have their own issues and don't quite reach the worlds best operator status.
    Bunch of old geeks...

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would recommend getting a quality constructed PTT switch for those buzzardly transmissions on AM fone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    K0OKS and AC0OB like this.
  6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The best transmit switch is a hand held toggle switch on the end of a coiled cord. It's easy to make one up. Go to a hardware store and buy one of those lamp switches, the type made to be inserted in the hot side of a lamp's power cord. Get some zip cord or any two conductor cord such as a long coiled guitar audio cord and put a two conductor plug on the end that will plug into your T/R sequencer. Put the switch in series with the conductors at the other end of the cord. Flip it to transmit and hang it on a hook while proceeding to make your Xmission. The long cord allows one the freedom to walk over to the transmitter and put it into transmit for inspection purposes.

I believe some ops use foot switches. I think it would suck to have to keep your foot pushed down on a switch the whole time you are talking.

KC8VWM and K4KYV like this.
  7. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a HUGE toggle switch on the remote control panel at the operating position and at the Transmitter for AM as I very rarely ever use fast break-in keying on AM.
    I do use a foot switch when I operate eSSB due to the fast PTT typical of SSB conversations.

8. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my PTT switch. Made if from 0129192001-00-1.jpg
    an old bicycle grip and a momentary switch.

K6LPM likes this.