ad: w5yi

Advice on AM roundtables and such

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by W7UUU, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people are over deviated. It has nothing to do with their form of audio modulation though. :D

AG5CK and AC0OB like this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

STICK TO A FIVE MINUTE LIMIT !

K0OKS likes this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Get yourself on the 2 meter repeater and you can have all the time limits you want.

K4KYV, AG5CK, WZ5Q and 1 other person like this.
  4. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Courtesy Tone too.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'm surely enjoying listening to the AM a lot these days... the conversations tend to be quite interesting most of the time! Not really at all what typically happens on SSB.

And so many of the points made in this thread are indeed borne out by simply listening (as I'm doing right now on 3870). I really like the sound of the audio, at least when it's strong and the QSB isn't bad.

Fun stuff! Hoping to have my DX-60b on the air one day soon. A couple years ago, I did a repair/restoration on it only to find the 12AX7 speech grid connection had nothing soldered to it - the builder had soldered the Mic + line onto ground instead.... so all those many years, it never once could have worked on AM!! Made my first ever HF AM contact with the transmitter still on the bench, with a great contact with local friend Bryan @WA7PRC

Thanks for all the great input

Dave
    W7UUU

K6LPM likes this.
  6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't those just the best kind of fixes, ever? Sooo simple with huge rewards!

W7UUU likes this.
  7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, since this thread is all about the AM mode...

Just under two weeks until the third annual AM Rally operating event on February 1-4!

K6LPM likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very cool! I'll be listening :)

Dave
    W7UUU

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That reminded me of my first entry into the world of SSB in 1966. I bought a second-hand Apache TX-1 with the sideband adapter SB-10, both built by the same guy who I actually knew pretty well.

He warned me the SB-10 wasn't quite working and he didn't know why; the Apache worked fine on CW-AM.

It was all beautifully wired -- good workmanship -- but the SB-10 just simply didn't work.

I went through it along with the original manual and everything appeared to be wired exactly right. But it didn't work.

Finally, I discovered there was a transformer that had two wires swapped on one winding; it "looked" right, but there was a little dot in the schematic indicating phasing and the darned thing was wired 180 degrees out of phase. Snip, solder...it worked!

I like the sound of real AM also -- although a lot of new DSP rigs, set up properly, sound so good it's impossible to tell them apart from "heavy iron." Difference is efficiency, of course. But they can sound wonderful.

I keep transmissions on AM short because using a low-level rig with a linear amp is incredibly inefficient for the amp and running 125W carrier power generates more heat than running a kW on SSB. But at least it can sound good.:)

K6LPM likes this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

In my opinion, all the SSB adapters, for both transmit and receive, were makeshift ways for people to utilize a novelty mode that was just coming in. Great that you were among those who tried it, but I today am amazed at the market prices for many of those adapters, which I presume would be used as a contemporary means of getting on SSB. I guess that's a certain aspect of the hobby, but I can't understand the interest. Why not use gear designed primarily for AM, on its intended mode!

The matter of efficiency is also a puzzle for me. Yes, I acknowledge I have some negative sentiment carried over from when the League used "efficiency" as a bludgeon against AM to help SSB's struggle for acceptance. But as a vintage pursuit today, I consider the matter akin to criticising a classic old car for its gas mileage! There is also something to be said for how hard a "modern" transmitter/amp combination must work, to accomodate the duty cycle and waveform demands on AM.

I agree completely that a DSP rig can sound excellent on AM. In fact, the Anan, to my ears and what I see on a waveform monitor, produces some of the best AM among practically available equipment in production today. Not that I'm going to sell off my tube gear, but I'm happy to tip my hat to a job well done.

As for the length of a transmission, the "AM Experience" for myself and many others I talk with, is distinguished from other radio activities because of the depth and detail found in our conversations. Much more satisfying to develop a train of thought and exchange ideas and stories with others on the mode. Maybe use a bigger fan on your station? : )