Advice on AM roundtables and such

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7UUU, Jan 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

So I'm guessing that it's not good practice to ask the group, "I just turned up the modge. How do I sound now?" :)

K6LPM likes this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think its fun and interesting to help someone get their audio set up so it sounds ok.
    Sure beats medical issues, the weather, or worse topics...

So, yes, break out the power mic and give it a try...

AG5CK likes this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Lot's of times I listen to the Mighty Elmac Net or another net and when there is a call for others to be recognized, I might break in with my call letters and just let the moderator know that I heard so and so and just want to say hi to the group but I do not need to be put in rotation.

Pheel

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, thanks for asking, by starting this thread in the first place.
    You've participated on the QRZ.com AM Forum long before now, so you already know some of the names/calls/approach in the AM Community.
    It's a grinner for me to see your question, since I would probably have to ask how to behave on SSB, if I ever for some unlikely reason decided to take part in a QSO on that mode.

A few responses pointed out the value of listening to the topic(s) being discussed, and you probably would also catch a few names and callsigns to utilize & show you've been listening. I agree with those who detest the inattentive "breaker," who is completely oblivious to the conversation, but has encountered an AM QSO and wants to join as if they're entitled to be the (new) center of attention. That's rude in any social context, but a more harsh light is drawn on it in a typical AM QSO since it typically has more depth and substance than what's heard on other modes and activities.

You will do well with the same approach you have used here: ask, with some advance knowledge, if you could ride along in the QSO for a while.

I hope to work you soon.

K6LPM likes this.
  5. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother and I frequently visit each other in the AM window. We don't mind if anyone drops in. In fact, we openly encourage it and say so on the air.

6. W3RSW

W3RSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop me if you’ve heard this before. ;) Few haven’t, but just in case, and I’ve no doubt almost all of you tried this at least once.

For proper AM turnaround times:
    True old buzzard ops used to keep the break-in contact wires next to the solder pot. The wires were stabbed into the hot solder for make, then after letting the pot cool off to solid, it was almost time to end the transmission.
    Plug the iron back in, wait for it to heat, then stab it back into the pot to re-melt and remove the wires for break. Or some variation. For shorter times the whole pot could be placed on and off the stove. Calibrated solder pot sizes set the buzzard interval using this method. For fast break you used a small ceramic thimble.

You realize of course that the pause after break was not originally a courtesy pause, but was necessary to put some salve and maybe even wrap some gauze on the burnt fingers of a novice op who hadn’t yet gotten hot tube callouses properly grown thick enough.

There was always a conflict if the coffee pot had to be moved to make space on a one hole Franklin. I think there are some artistic QSO cards illustrating the operation. Now There’s also the old cat tail winding trick, The unleashed claws being excellent time keepers in case the op’s dozed off. Cats have very sensitive ears and are easily able to discern when the distant station’ s run out of breath or otherwise mumbled away into the twilight.

KA0HCP, K6LPM and WA3VJB like this.
  7. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

My family has had a interesting story of when my mother and her brothers were small children they relate a story of my grandfather (himself an old spark operator as a kid). The story goes that somehow he electrocuted the neighbors cat with his ham radio that he powered by using some sort of home made oatmeal battery and using the cat's whiskers to tune up the radio he somehow zapped the cat!
    Ha! I now know that was a tall tale, but I grew up hearing all about the cat whisker and cat electrocuted with oatmeal story and believed that Quaker oats could power a radio receiver. It wasn't until I built my first crystal radio set, that I learned it wasn't a radio built from oats but inductor wound on the oatmeal box and that it didn't require an actual cats whisker but only a stiff wire attached to the crystal detector that tuned across the inductor. But My mother and two uncle's still think the radio was built from oatmeal and cat whiskers.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That reminds me of a telephone interference problem I had a few years ago. The lady (now SK) who lived across the road was hearing me in her landline phone whenever I operated 160m. I offered to help fix the problem, so I went over to her house and listened on her phone while my wife activated my transmitter and made a test transmission. I could clearly hear the voice coming through in the background but it wasn't loud enough to keep anyone from using the phone; in fact the voice at the other end of the phone line completely obliterated the feeble sound of interference from my transmitter. I tried putting an rf filter on the phone but that didn't help. I suggested she try a new phone that might be less RFI-sensitive or else call the telephone repair service since it might have been a flaky connection in the phone line. When I mentioned she could just ignore it, since it didn't actually hamper use of the phone, she told me that wasn't the point. She firmly believed that since she could hear my conversations on the radio through her phone, I could likewise hear her telephone conversations on my radio. No amount of explaining how radio, telephones and RFI work, could convince her otherwise.

9. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha! That's one thing about AM is the audio rectification can be clearly heard word for word. Another reason to represent and not be a lid . Your neighbor might be listening.
    Once upon a time a lady that lived next door was so certain that I was the source of her TVI. When asked about the offending QRM she stated she could clearly hear every word spoken. When I explained that I was operating CW she said she wasn't sure but thought she heard some Dolly Parton. I had to explain that I used Morse code to form letters to spell out sentences. She said that was exactly the type of interference she was seeing on her television. She said the letters were appearing right there plain as day, while her son was watching Sesame Street!:p

10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Picasso.

All swirly and twisted. ;)